We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time frame for White House tour request

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Time frame for White House tour request

I requested a tour in September through my U.S. Representative, and got an email back requesting social security number, etc. which I provided. Any idea how long it takes before I know whether we will actually be approved for a tour? I don't want to book another tour and then find out my White House time slot is on the same day.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,858 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,110 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time frame for White House tour request

You may not know whether your request for a tour has been granted or not until shortly before you arrive in D.C. (i.e. a week or two). The chances of getting a tour are always slim due to the large numbers who apply and the few slots available. I wouldn't necessarily wait to book other activities until you find out about the White House tour because, by then, it may be too late for the other things.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 00:02
Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,858 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time frame for White House tour request

I had contacted my congressman's office back in April and turned in all the requested information for our visit the last week of August. Was told that the earliest we would hear back is two weeks prior to our requested date. '

As Longhorn said, chances tend to be slim of getting in (so I've heard) so we've booked our other tours and if we find out we DID get WH passes, I will just reschedule the conflicting tour. Waiting to hear otherwise will only cause you to miss out on the tours you know for a fact you can get.

JMHO and YMMV.....

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time frame for White House tour request

I filled out the application in May and heard back exactly 2 months later. I am heading there later today.

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time frame for White House tour request

Wow, that's discouraging. Sounds like I'd better plan a trip that doesn't include it, and if we get in it will just be a bonus. Thanks for the help.

5. Re: Time frame for White House tour request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18