We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Hello

I am visiting Washington dc at the end of august - is it a fairly accessible city? -

I am staying near Farragut north metro a couple of days and McPherson square metro for a couple of days ( don't ask why I have divided my accommodation - complicated!!)

I wondered whether I could walk to Smithsonian museums/ capitol etc all the sights or whether I should get a smart metro card. If I should get a metro card what is the best card to get for 2 days and 5 days ?

Thanks

DC
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Downtown is pretty flat. As for Metro, that depends on where you want to go and how far you would walk. Look at a map for that.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,599 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Get a Metro SmarTrip card. Just the normal one. You will be able to travel more comfortably when you get tired of walking. But you will be able to easily walk to some sights, depending on your stamina and inclination. For instance, the White House is close to both of those Metro stations.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Look at a map. Walk as far as you like, take Metro when it makes sense. If you get tired of walking, hail a taxi, they aren't that expensive.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
210 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Think about DC weather in August. It's a whole other game. We walk, but that month can be a killer. You may not want to do much walking. Mother Nature may answer the question for you.

The S bus runs down 16th to the Am History museum, I believe. It's an easy ride. The 50s run down14th to the Wash Monument. Don't overlook them as options - they have AC and are fairly quick, problem free. Route maps and timetables are on WMATA.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

The DC Circulator also passes near your lodgings. See http://dccirculator.com/ for the maps.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,599 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

What amturnip didn't mention is that your SmarTrip card will work on the Circulator buses as well as Metro buses and other local systems.

Virginia
Level Contributor
667 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

I loved the SmarTrip card for our recent visit. I had never heard of it before I read about it in this forum, and it was exactly what we needed. We almost got by with the $8 allowed on the original $10 purchase, but needed one more metro ride and were able to load the amount we needed for that one extra trip. It was very handy, and you save a $1 on each ride with the card as well.

West Branch...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Is there a way to get from DC to Baltimore without having to rent a car and drive ourselves?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

You can take the MARC train Camden Line but look carefully at the schedule. It is mainly for commuters and runs accordingly,no holiday service.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro rail or walking in washington dc ?

Or the MARC Penn Line.