We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

Kamuela HI
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

I have a 3 hour layover at Dulles (coming in from LAX) before heading to Manchester UK, and would like to meet my brother who lives in VA for drinks or dinner in the airport. Any suggestions of places that wouldn't be too hard for me to get back through security, or can he get into the departure gates? Obviously, I want to maximize the time we can spend together.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

That is not really feasible given your short time at Dulles. The late afternoon and evening is very busy at Dulles. There is very little in the way of food or drink outside of security at Dulles. Not a lot inside security for that matter. I would not risk being late for an international departure. No way for your brother to get inside security unless he buys a ticket for somewhere around the same time you are there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

I agree that there's not much time, but there is a Harry's Tap Room in the main terminal building that your brother could access without a ticket. I would keep a close eye on the clock and getting back through security to make your flight. Transatlantic flights usually begin boarding a good bit earlier than typical flights, so I would want to make sure I was back at my gate in plenty of time to board.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

I agree with Darrell. Seeing as how they ask you arrive 2-3 hours prior for an international flight and making sure you have no issues getting through Security, I don't know how it could be done.....

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

Your brother could purchase a fully refundable ticket on United for later that evening, check in on the website to get a boarding pass, go through security, meet you for dinner, then go back on the website to "un-check-in" and cancel his ticket and ask for a refund.

I've never done this, but it has been described on FlyerTalk as a way to get family through security. He'll need to make sure he cancels on the website before the flight at issue departs, however, or else he'll void the ticket and not get a refund. Only you and your brother can decide if that's too big a hassle.

5. Re: Quick family reunion during Dulles layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 07:15