We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for August visit

Markham, Canada
14 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for August visit

We will be in Washington August 15-18 with my Family (wife and Teenage boys 19,17,15). We are staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton ( on Massachusetts Ave).

It looks to be walking distance to many attractions but that can be deceiving looking at a map. We have a tour set up at the Capital for the 16th @10:30 am and then then plan to walk the length of the Mall after that including a visit to the Air and Space Museum. Is that too much for 1 day?

I tried to book the Washington Monument but no tickets available. Any other way to get tickets?

Do you think it would be too far to walk the to the Capitol building from the Hotel or should be take a taxi/Transit?

At Night we want to visit the Kennedy Center and either catch the Lion King or Shear Madness. Would it make more sense to take transit or a cab to the Kennedy Center?

Also thinking about the Spy Museum and the Ford theater

Anyone have any other night activities suitable for teenagers? Also, any dining recommendations near the hotel?

Would appreciate any insights.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for August visit

I would not start a day of walking by also walking to the Capitol from the Homewood Suites. Take a taxi for that. After the Capitol tour, walking the length of The Mall would be a great day. The Air and Space Museum is large and very popular, so if you become engrossed in that you may not make it to the other end of The Mall that same day.

Same day tickets for going up in the Washington Monument are distributed each morning. Get there by about 7:30 or earlier for those.

The Lion King is sold out. Shear Madness is fun and half-price tickets are often available at TicketPlace. culturecapital.tix.com/ActSelection.asp… There are also free performances at Millennium Stage every day at 6pm. www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/

If you head north from your hotel (The Mall is south) you will find one of the trendiest restaurant areas in DC along 14th Street NW. There are also a number of places in the 1400 block of P Street NW a block behind your hotel. No shortage of places to eat.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for August visit

Quick tip. The Capitol is at the 0 block for all dc addresses. So whatever numbered street you're on should inform you how many blocks away (east/west) the capitol is.

So if the hotel is close to 14th street NW then it's about 14 blocks west of the Capitol. It's roughly 10 blocks to a mile in DC. The White House is at 1600 Penn. Ave so it's 16 blocks from the Capitol.

For north/south you just count the letters (A =1, b=2, etc).

Markham, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for August visit

Darrell6t. Thanks for the link for discounted Shear Madness tickets. We will definitely take advantage of that.

canaanm. Thanks, that will be very useful to know when we plan our visits.

Any idea of taxi costs from our hotel to the Capitol and to the Kennedy Center? Just trying to get a sense of costs. Any recommendations on taxi service? Any to avoid?

Any other nighttime activities we could enjoy?

Edited: 29 July 2014, 17:44
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,373 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for August visit

If I need a taxi I just hail on on the street. Not a problem in downtown locations most of the time. Neither of those taxi trips will be very expensive. Likely no more than $20 at most, plus tip.

Markham, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for August visit

Perfect. Thanks

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for August visit

Since you'll be here on a Sunday, you should go to the drum circle in Meridian Hill Park. It starts around 3, but really gets going around 5-6 and ends at 8. It is a unique fun event - the whole park is full of neighborhood families, and young people (the area is a bit of a hipster paradise with lots of group houses.) Besides the drummers & dancers there are usually people doing hula-hooping, slack-rope walking, yoga and just having fun.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for August visit

We are travelling with our 16 year old son and are doing an evening Segway tour one evening and a Nationals ball game another evening. We will be there a couple weeks before you, will post a trip report on our return as to what the hits and misses were. We also are doing a Forensics lab at the Crime and Punishment museum.

Markham, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for August visit

I would be very interested in hearing about the Segway tour. We were thing about the Crime and Punishment museum as well. I hear its better than the Spy museum.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for August visit

Greek2013, the Crime and Punishment Museum is, indeed, much more interesting than the Spy Museum. (I've been to both museums.) Also, Segway tours are a LOT of fun--we took our teens a few years ago. And even though we live in the D.C. area and know a lot about the city, our Segway guide told us a few things we didn't know. There are several companies in D.C. that offer Segway tours and they all get excellent reviews, so you can't go wrong. If you want to read some of these reviews, go to the top of this page and click on "Things to Do" and then click on "Activities".

Markham, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for August visit

I was disappointed to read you need to be 16 to use the Segway's. My youngest doesn't turn 16 until October, so we will need to find another activity.