We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Hi. We have only a very short time in Washington DC & want to see the main monuments both during the day & also lit up at night.

We arrive at 11.20 am at Dulles airport & leave the following day at 2.15pm from Ronald Reagan airport.

We are staying at the George Washington University Inn.

We want to also go up to the top of the Washington Monument which I am going to book online but have no idea what time to book it for.

I was thinking of maybe getting the subway as soon as we arrive at the hotel & spending the afternoon walking the mall, Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting pool, White House, Capitol Hill & Washington Memorial.

I'm then thinking of doing a night tour, or trolley night tour to rest our legs.

Would we have time to see all this or would it be best to see maybe the White House or Capitol Hill the next day as we wouldn't have to leave for the airport until about midday.

Any itinerary suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

It is an easy, somewhat downhill walk to the Lincoln Memorial from the George Washington University Inn. So your plan to see the memorials right after you check-in is a good one. But given your short stay I wonder about touring them both during the day and again at night. It also isn't that far to walk to the White House from your hotel. The Capitol is somewhat further away.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,816 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

I agree with Darrell that it makes little sense to tour the monuments and memorials twice, especially considering the short amount of time you have in D.C.

Are you interested in any of the free Smithsonian museums? You could take a taxi or the Metro to the area of the National Mall where the Smithsonians are located and visit any that interest you. Since admission to them is free, you could visit them leisurely, spending as much or as little time as you want in any of them.

Then after a stop for dinner (Penn Quarter is a good place to find a large variety of restaurants and this area is easily reached via taxi, Metro or foot from the Smithsonian area). After dinner, you could walk the monuments and memorials and enjoy seeing them all lit up.

The next day, you could do your visit to the top of the Washington Monument and walk over to the White House, which is close to the Washington Monument.

My only caveats about a tour to the Washington Monument are: 1) you won't see much if you go up after dark and 2) if you are coming in August, we can get afternoon thunderstorms and they close the monument when there are any thunderstorms in the area--it happened to us a few years ago.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

We will be there mid September. We're not really interested in visiting museums. If the Capitol is further away maybe we could visit that the next morning. I was planning on having dinner near our hotel in Georgetown. If the Whitehouse is closest to our hotel maybe if we start there & book Monument for say 2pm. I really wanted to see them lit up at night. How late are they open to?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Except for going up in the Washington Monument, the various memorials and monuments are open 24/7.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,816 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

I would not book a ticket for 2pm to the Washington Monument on the same day that you arrive. It's going to take you at least 90 minutes to collect your bags. taxi from Dulles to Georgetown and get checked into your hotel (and longer if you are on an international flight). So, if your flight is delayed, you could be cutting it close to get to the Washington Monument in time for a 2pm tour.

So, here's another suggestion: Check into your Georgetown hotel and eat lunch. Taxi over the Jefferson Memorial and walk around the monuments surrounding the Tidal Basin--Jefferson Memorial, FDR Memorial and MLK Jr. Memorial. Then walk over to the Washington Monument in time for a tour at 4pm. After the tour, return to Georgetown to relax and eat dinner. After dinner, go to the White House and walk the National Mall monuments--WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Lincoln Memorial. The monuments and memorials are open 24 hours a day.

On the 2nd day, book a tour of the Capitol for the morning. (Tours begin at 9am). The tours last about 1 hour, so if you got a tour as late as 10:00am, you could be done with the tour and back at the hotel in time to pick up your bags and get to the airport in plenty of time to check your bags and go through security before your flight.

visitthecapitol.gov/plan-visit/….U9w1DvldVIE

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks Darrell & Longhorn for your helpful advice. I think I might do as Longhorn suggests book a 4pm Washington Monument tour & see some monuments before dinner & the rest after at night then do the Capital tour the next day.

What is the quickest or best way to get to our hotel from Dulles airport please?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

Quickest and best is a car and driver arranged in advance to meet you at the luggage area, help with that and whisk you to your hotel. I use Kasper's Livery. http://www.kasperlivery.com

8. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:17