We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When should I book my hotel?

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
When should I book my hotel?

I'm not travelling till 25th July 2015 for 4 nights. I am interested in the Omni shoreham and need a room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers as I'm trying to keep the cost down. I got a price with Virgin for hotel only but nobody else had any prices, now the price has increased by £40 a night in the space of a few days. It seems really early to book but should I or wait.... I don't know. Help please!

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When should I book my hotel?

You can always book at a refundable rate and continue to watch prices to see if a better rate comes along.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When should I book my hotel?

The Omni Shoreham seems to have great deals sometimes. It can also sell out if there is a large convention in town. If you want a particular type of room I would book directly with the hotel and be sure it is fully refundable. In my limited experience, those airline packages are not a great deal. Doing it yourself can be cheaper. That may be different in the UK.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When should I book my hotel?

Thanks for the info. I have already booked my flight so just looking for a good deal on the hotel. How much in advance are the rates available? Is the end of July a busy time?

Edited: 02 August 2014, 15:20
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When should I book my hotel?

If you're not limiting yourselves to hotels, you might enjoy both the savings and the extra space of a vacation rental apt. Check VRBO.com - particularly the neighborhoods of Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, Woodley Park and Capitol Hill (check location carefully here - people stretch the boundaries.)

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When should I book my hotel?

Thanks for your advice, will look at a couple of other hotel options to get the best chance of getting a good price. thanks

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When should I book my hotel?

Just curious - are you looking for the best rate at the Omni or the best rate for a hotel in general?

You are about a year out. Unless there is an event or convention going on or if you simply insist on staying at this hotel, I would book it. If you can book a cancellable rate, that would be your best bet as you continue to look for a better rate - sometimes last minute rates can be a bargain. Prepaid rates can be decent but they do have their limitations

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When should I book my hotel?

Sorry not replied more quickly. I was originally thinking that this was my only option as it had a great pool but now looking at other hotels. I seem to be able to get a good rate at The Fairfax on Embassy row which looks nice and central too, but I'll keep looking.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When should I book my hotel?

The Fairfax is a good location, but does it have a pool? Certainly not an outside pool like the Shoreham. Those two hotels are very different in their ambience. The Embassy Row Hotel has a rooftop pool and is very near The Fairfax.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When should I book my hotel?

No the The Fairfax doesn't have a pool but was thinking that I could do without if I was going to get a better price and the location was within walkable distance to sights. On their website I can get a room for 4 for about £430 for 4 nights on my dates, I thought that was good price. I don't really want to pay £175-200 per night.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When should I book my hotel?

The Fairfax is a historic hotel and some of the rooms are quite small. A great location, but a long walk to most of the usual sights for most people. You are too far from your dates to see any bargains, but making a fully refundable reservation is still a good idea.