We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days What to DO?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
4 Days What to DO?

I have 4 days coming up in Washington D.C. What are the 5 best things to see or do (not to miss) while I am there?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

I'm not so sure it works like that. Something like the National Mall could be counted as one thing or dozens. If this is your first time in DC then you'll probably want to see the monuments/major government buildings and museums. There's a lot more than 5 of those.

Is there something you're particularly interested in or curious about? Specific monuments? Museums? Neighborhoods/night life?

Read through the forum or DC's wikitravel entry and get an overview for the city and you'll probably get good answers for anything you're unclear about or if you want to know if something is worth the time or expense.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

I am staying close to (I think - Marriott Metro Center) the National Mall for that reason. Yes, first time to D.C. The only two things I know pretty much know for sure is that several very close friends who have been there several times tell me that I must go to Georgetown, that I would really like it there and that I should do the Washington Monument Night Tour. That's the extent of what I've been able to determine. Next week is when I will be there.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

Well, the monuments are quite striking at night when they're lit up and things are relatively more peaceful. You can do an organized tour but it's also totally doable on your own.

Note that the Washington Monument (the huge Obelisk) is only open during the day time. You can still walk around but if you want to go up then you'll need a ticket for the appointed time.

Georgetown is a very tony neighborhood with classic architecture and high end shopping.

Clifton Park, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

I would recommend:

1) Spend a day or two on the National Mall. Take the Metro to the Smithsonian Station and visit a couple of museums. There is something of interest for just about everyone. More popular: Air and Space, American History, Natural History, the list goes on and they are free. The Newseum is also great, but there is a charge. There is also the Capitol and the Library of Congress.

On the opposite end from the Capitol - most of the memorials. If you decide to walk it, bring good shoes! But there are also buses/tours you can take where you can on and off at various places. The night tours are great - I would definitely recommend. DC at night is beautiful.

2) You can spend the day on the Mall and then take a cab to Georgetown for dinner. Make a reservation for sure - there are many good restaurants there and its always busy. Find one along the canal/M Street and take a walk after dinner either along the canal or along the shops.

3) Arlington Cemetery - also plenty of walking

4) Another good place for dinner and sightseeing is Washington Harbor - good views of Kennedy Center, Potomac, Swedish Embassy

5) Embassy Row - I've driven or walked - I'm sure there are tours for this too.

Other things not sure whether you would be interested or not: Kayaking on Potomac, dinner cruise on Potomac, National Harbor (commercial, farther away but fun atmosphere), National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Ford's Theatre, National Museum of Women in the Arts.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

No need to take Metro from your hotel to The Mall. Just walk down 12th Street NW and you'll be there in a few minutes right between the Natural History and the American History museums.

Washington Harbor is in Georgetown. You might want to check this : georgetowndc.com/directory/…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

EdwinCrunch gives a good list of the basics. One thing he left out is at least a walk by the White House. You can't come to DC without taking that photo. (You won't be able to go in as you need to request tix in advance.) I would recommend you look at the Smithsonian website, www.si.edu, and see which museums interest you (if any) so you can plan which ones to visit. The nice thing is that since they're free, you can wander in for a few minutes rather than feeling l like you have to spend hours there to get your money's worth. (Of course, many of them are worth hours of your time, depending on your interest level). There's also the National Zoo in the Cleveland Park neighborhood, if you're a zoo fan (also part of the SI and free). Have a great time!

Edited: 08 August 2014, 14:16
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

Hi, We just returned from a 4 day trip to DC and also stayed at the Marriott at Metro. If you are interested in seeing Georgetown, I would recommend booking a Free Tour with DC by Foot of Historic Georgetown. Book it late afternoon and stay in the area for dinner. Lovely area, we really enjoyed it. We also spent a lot of time at the Monuments, about 3 hours at Arlington cemetery and Arlington House, Really enjoyed our tour of the Capital building and Library of Congress.

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

Celeanor - was thinking about booming a foot your. How did you figure a fair price to pay for it?

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

Oops...fat fingers on my phone...that should read booking a foot tour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Days What to DO?

I had the same question and read on one of these forums before we left, that about $10.00 per person was a fair rate. That appeared to be what others were tipping as well. Other similar "paid tours" may have a higher charge, however, the "free" tour is a larger group.