We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

My 3 kids and I are travelling to Washington D.C. on a Saturday and I was thinking of parking at Arlington National Cemetery, seeing the cemetery and walking across the bridge to the Lincoln Memorial and the other sites (and leaving the car at Arlington for the day). Has anyone ever done this, I'm trying to figure out if this is feasible?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,791 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

Parking at Arlington Cemetery is not free and the hourly cost goes up after 3 hours. It is slightly less than a mile to the Lincoln Memorial and is an easy walk. Be cautious crossing the highways, but otherwise an easy walk. It is shade less if it is a sunny day.

Usa, Japan
Level Contributor
124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

Yes, I've done it a million times. It's feasible. It's about a mile just to the Lincoln Memorial with no shade though and there are a few crossings where you need to have your wits about you. If you walk to the other sites, it will be a lot of walking which is great for some people (like me) but not for others. From the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol it's ~ 2 miles, so if that's a destination, you're looking at 6 miles round trip. You could always walk over, then cab back to the cemetery if you were too tired to walk.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

Thank you very much, this has put my mind at ease. I love the cab idea. My goal is to get as far as the Air and Space museum. We are prepared for alot of walking but you never know how the kids will hold up.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

Thank you very much for the information and yes I've already calculated how much it would be to park at Arlington and I'm fine with it, I just thought it might be easier staying out of DC traffic and I really want to take the kids to Arlington. Thanks again, very helpful.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

A cab's going to be cheaper for 4 people and get you door to door, but there is also the option of taking the metro from/to Arlington. It's an easy trip from the L'Enfant, Smithsonian, or Federal Center metro station on the blue line.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

If you are planning to do this in the summer heat, pack lots of water. I would take the Metro from Arlington to the National Mall area if it is hot. You will have plenty of walking in the mall area without arriving there a steamy hot mess.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,791 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

The walk from the two Metro stations closest to the Lincoln Memorial are just about a long a walk as from Arlington Cemetery, but they will have some shade. They are Foggy Bottom and Smithsonian.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

The walk from Arl. Cemetery to Lincoln Memorial is .9 miles - a beautiful, easy and gorgeous, scenic walk across Memorial Bridge. There are broad -12-15 ft. wide - sidewalks and navigating the traffic circle is not at all difficult or dangerous if you just go in the crosswalks and pay attention.

From there you can walk a loop of the other monument/memorials - or take a taxi. Distances are easy to figure with online maps.

9. Re: Walking From the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 07:16