We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Thinking of staying at the Washington Marriott Metro Center, but I've read on TA that hotel parking is $49/day!

Stumbled online on something called "Parking Panda" that shows alternative parking garages around the area for half the price -- I've never come across this before.... Would like to hear from someone who has used it please.

The site says the fees are for daytime parking -- but we're planning to leave the car there for 4 days and basically just use the subway while in DC.

Here's the Parking Panda site: https:/…

33 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

I've used Parking Panda a few times to pay in advance for parking at a specific site for sporting events. Never had any problems with it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Many DC parking garages do not allow overnight parking. And if you leave your car there, it is locked up until the next opening. That could be a problem if something happens at home and you need to leave immediately. Union Station is only a few Metro stops away and is $22 a day, open 24/7. There may be another garage within walking distance of your hotel however.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Thanks for the practical advice. If anyone knows of a safe parking garage open 24/7 near the Washington Marriott at Metro Center -- that would be amazing...

Alternative Question though: If I decide to roll the dice and stick to the plan to keep the car in the garage for 4 days, do I buy 4 separate tickets online?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

The BestParking website or app may be a better choice. Put your start & end day/time in & out--they'll return total prices for the garages nearby that are open 24/7, with an "N/A" for those garages that are closed overnight. I put in a random three night/four day stay (leaving at an earlier time of day than arriving) and a few garages near the Marriott came back with total prices of $84-$96.

Also note that if your trip involves a Sunday, street parking in the area will be free (and readily available) from 10 pm Saturday evening until 7 a.m. Monday. Taking advantage of that could reduce the amount of time you actually need in the garage.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Thank you so much! I just went to the BestParking site . I'll play around with it and see what turns up -- very much appreciate everyone's advice -- and thanks for the tip as well about street parking. We'll be at the hotel Friday night and checking out Tuesday.

Tubman, I think that means we can do street parking Saturday night and /sunday night!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Correct. Depending on how much effort you want to expend on vacation to save, early each day of your trip (apart from Sunday), you could easily get a space that many of the garages offer in the $12-$15 range until late that night, then go back on the street. During the week, they usually have a signboard outside advertising an "early bird" special for the office crowd, or Best Parking can locate them for you.

You also don't have to wait for 10 p.m.--after 8 pm, you could park on the street and pay the time on the meter that it takes you to get to 10 p.m. when enforcement ends. (Most meters have a two-hour limit in this area @ $3/hr.) Likewise, if you're leaving early (by 9 a.m.) Tuesday morning, you could take a spot on the street Monday night and pay for up to two hours if necessary at 7 a.m.

Just remember that 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday is a firm, aggressively-patrolled timeframe--by definition you'll be parked in a space that needs meter payment or might be restricted from parking altogether during some of those times. You don't want a ticket or worse to instantly offset any savings you're realizing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Thank you again. Lots of practical advice, though I suspect we'll probably just go to a 24/7 garage nearby - except for the Saturday and Sunday street freebies you mention.

I read on a TA review of the hotel we're staying at (Washington Marriott @ Metro Center) that the doorman pointed out a garage "across the street" that was open 24/7. I'll have to see online if I could identify that garage...

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

Hello! I'm a Community Manager with Parking Panda, for the DC area, and hoped to help clear up any questions as you continue planning for your upcoming trip. There are definitely some reasonable options that will allow overnight parking near the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. 1220 E Street NW is just t 0.2 miles from your hotel. Another option slightly further would be 875 D Street NW at 0.4 miles and is also reasonable for DC overnight parking. 875 D Street NW also has an option to add in-and-out privileges, if that would provide more convenience for your trip (although you may not need that if your plan is to leave the car for the 4 days while you use other transportation in the city).

In regards to your alternative question when you are making a reservation you can select the start date/time and end date/time in one reservation- you do not need to make a separate reservation for each day of parking.

If you still need additional information or would like to pick my brain feel free to contact me by email jess@parkingpanda.com or phone (800) 232-6415.

Carlisle, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

I would not recommend Parking Panda. I used their service yesterday and it ended up costing me $14 more than just paying at the garage. A company rep washed their hands of this, laying blame with the garage for not updating their pricing. They did issue me a $10 credit, which I will unlikely use because I do not trust their services.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used Parking Panda?

I've visited my sister a number of times in DC and have explored most of the parking marketplaces during those stays. Parking Panda, BestParking, and SpotHero are the premier players and there are a few other smaller companies. I've had the most consistent experience with SpotHero - great rates, lots of options, and awesome customer service.

I just inputted the Washington Marriott into SpotHero's search engine and there are rates as low as $68 for a four day stay. Just make sure you read the details on the parking pass to avoid any fees - I've neglected to do this before and if it wasn't for SpotHero's great customer service I could've been towed.

Of course, if your stay overlaps with a Sunday, I would reiterate what some posters have mentioned above - definitely try your luck with on the street parking.

Have a great trip :)

Reply to: Has anyone used Parking Panda?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted