We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

Planning to be in DC during the Labor Day weekend - but am wondering if it will be better to go a week of two later to avoid crowds (hate long line ups) . We're particularly looking forward to the Smithsonian museums and the monuments which of course attract tourists. Just wondering which timing would be more peaceful / less stress.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

It will certainly be less crowded after Labor Day. If you have the choice, come then.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

Labor Day is actually a little emptier than usual. Many local residents go to the beach one last time. Schools around the country have started so there are not as many young families visiting. There are no school groups visiting yet because school has just started.

September to November for some reason is the big time for people from other continents to visit. (I work at an Information desk at a Smithsonian museum and this is what I have noticed over the years), not that it makes it crowded, but at least they are polite and aren't swarming around in matching T-shirts.

No other time is as crowded as March and April, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

I noticed you were worried about lines:

The only lines I ever see are to go into Natural History, Air and Space, and rarely American History right at 10 AM and between 12 and 2 on Saturdays (like a 10-minute wait), and it's not like that every week, only some of them. I doubt Labor Day will be all that crowded.

Also, once you get into a museum and past the big atrium, the crowds diffuse. The one exception is NASM which, by nature of its contruction, LOOKS crowded even before it opens at 10 AM with just staff walking around, for some reason.

Nothing else has lines EXCEPT: The Washington Monument, which would have a line of ticket holders if there were 2 feet of snow on the ground, and the Metro wasn't running. Everything else you just walk up to or into.

Here is a Mall Map: nps.gov/nama/…NACCmap1.pdf

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

If you don't have backpacks or bags to be searched, then you don't wait in line inside the door either.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 16:24
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

Thank you, everyone. Hearing from someone who actually works at the Smithsonian and would notice crowdedness (or lack thereof) is great...

I'm reading up more of the TA postings about what to do in DC and am getting more and more excited!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

Ford's Theater will be free on Labor Day also as it's a part of the National Park System.

7. Re: Labor Dav Weekend - Still Mega Crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:17