We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Calgary
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Canadian would like to tour White House

Does anyone know what is needed for a Canadian to tour White House. I know US citizens can contact a congressman, what does a Canadian do ?

East Hartford...
Level Contributor
11 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

I'm not sure who at the Embassy can help you out, but it looks like that would be the first place to start to inquire about a tour: www.whitehouse.gov, and search for "Tours and Events".

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

From your embassy's website:

can-am.gc.ca/washington/…

If you search in this forum, there are posts from a non-US citizen about being able to get tickets to the White House tour via a congressional representative.

I know that many think this is heresy, but many others will tell you that the White House tour isn't that great -- a lot of standing in line and waiting (even with tickets) to see just a few ceremonial rooms.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

I haven't done it but when the Whitehouse website says that 45 minutes should be plenty of time for a self guided tour then I'm skeptical as well. But by all means try! Just don't get too sad if you can't get in. The grounds are lovely to walk around.

Virginia
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

45 minutes is more than enough time during the tour. I can't say I regret doing it because when you have it in your mind that you want to go, and you finally get to, you can tick it off your list. That said, the effort put in to do it wasn't really worth it in the end. It took two requests to get approved. Then we had a time and day that wasn't great, but we made it work.

When you go to the White House you need to be in line at least 15 minutes ahead to stay with your group, and then yes, you do wait for quite a while, and then go through various security stations to review your ID, etc. When you finally get in the house it really is just a few ceremonial rooms, as indicated above. It doesn't really feel like you are in the White House...more like you are in a former president's home and seeing a few of their rooms. Before you know it you are done, and out the door, and kind of surprised that was it.

I was also disappointed that you don't get to go outside at all...I was kind of hoping that you could go on some of their grounds and see some of those features up close, but you have to stay in the one wing, and then when you leave you are at the back of the house.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 15:01
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,146 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

Here's the link to the report by an Australian visitor on how she applied for and received a White House tour.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k743962…

Please be aware that the White House gets MANY, MANY more requests for tours than there are available slots, so do not be disappointed if your request is not granted. As is stated on the Canadian Embassy website, there are many other free tours in D.C. of which you can easily partake. Enjoy them.

6. Re: Canadian would like to tour White House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:17