We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike parking/lockup

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Bike parking/lockup

I've familiarized myself with Capital Bikeshare and how it works but I just wonder about bike parking in general. Our hotel has loaner bikes and if we are able to use them, just wonder how easy it is to lock them up at the museums and monuments?

TIA

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike parking/lockup

One thing to keep in mind if you borrow bikes from the hotel is that bike theft is rampant. Presumably the loaner bikes won't be high end bikes, so perhaps they'll be less likely to be stolen, but you'll want to check on what locks are provided and what your liability is if they disappear.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike parking/lockup

Plenty of parking on the mall for bikes. there are bike racks, and general polls or even parking meters. just make sure when you lock it the bike can't be lifted over the parking meter.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike parking/lockup

The city has gotten a lot better about racks being prevalent and there's always sign posts and parking meters. Just use best practices when locking up and you should be fine.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike parking/lockup

Don't park them around parking meters because they can always be lifted over them. Just as in any place in the world, you can lock your bicycle around a tree, a signport, streetlight, but maybe not on a building fence (you never know what the owner might do). Where to park a bicycle is almost like asking: Where on the sidewalk can you stand? :^)

I'd go with the hotel's bicycle, because with Bikeshare you have to be comfortable with finding a return spot to cut back on fees: the first half hour is free, the second is a couple of dollars, and the longer you have on without returning and then later getting another, the more it costs. I use an app and know about a number of locations and am familiar with DC so I have no difficulty, you might. So just use the hotel's bicycle (provided it's not $40 per day).

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike parking/lockup

I do plan on using the hotel loaners but we can't be guaranteed that they will be available when we want them and we do know the limitations on the Capital Bike Share system - alreadu have the Spot Cycle app on my phone. Wife and I are pretty avid trail cyclists so we may bring our own locks but really was curious as to how bike friendly the town was outside of CBS.

Thanx for all the replies!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike parking/lockup

I don't know what CBS is, but in my humble opinion DC is the most bike friendly city in the nation. We have TONS of bike lanes, and with capital bikeshare thousands of bikes on the road in any given moment.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike parking/lockup

If you ride with clips, may want to bring pedals and cleats (and pedal tool). On the occasions that I cannot bring the whole bike, I do this a lot. DC is a great bike city and while I am sure there are theft problems, have not personally ever had one. I bring a good lock and put bike in a visible spot and no more or less issues than anywhere else.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike parking/lockup

Locks may be useful, but the purpose of Capital BikeShare is to return the bicycle to a location when you are finished using it, then get another when you are ready, not to lock it up for an hour.

Each person has to use a different credit card to register for the day (or week). When you need another bicycle you use that same credit card to get your next bicycle. The longer you keep a bicycle out, the faster the rates increase.

You have probably looked at this page, but others reading this may find it useful: http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike parking/lockup

UKIE - CBS = Capital Bike Share

Locks will only be for hotel loaners only - not sure if they supply them. If we do use CBS, we just plan ride from point A to point B within the initial 29 minute time frame to avoid extra charges

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike parking/lockup

Then you have nothing to worry about. You've got already got the basics down pat except for the local nickname for bikeshare is CABI not CBS ;).

If you've got a trip longer than 30 minutes you could try to return the bike at a midway point and immediately pick up a new one as well.