We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church of the Presidents

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Church of the Presidents

My wife has some interest in visiting St John's Episcopal Church but we would have to change our itinerary a bit to fit it in.

I don't see many posts about it here on the T/A forum so I just wondered if it would be worth moving things around to do so for a stop in. We would be looking at either a Satruday visit or a Sunday guided tour (after morning services)

Your thoughts?

D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church of the Presidents

It's just across the park from the north side of the White House. It wouldn't take long to stick your head in for a look. Don't know anything about their tours. It is not a big church.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church of the Presidents

My wife and I wanted to stop in to see it, and we just happened to hit there a few minutes before a funeral and could not get into see it. It is not very big, as noted by the prior poster, and is still in use as a church so you never know what you might find going on there.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Church of the Presidents

The only problem is that the church is supposably only open for visitors from 1-3pm with the exception of Sundays where they offer free guided tours after morning service. This is according to the NPS website and why I mentioned that if its worthwhile to visit, we would have to rearrange some things......

Edited: 14 August 2014, 20:01
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church of the Presidents

If you have an interest in seeing it and it's not hard for you to get the tour, why not do it? If you don't you will always wonder what it was like.

But if you can't do the tour, just go in during a weekday visitor time. And you can see it from the outside 24 hours/day. I know from experience that it's better to do something that you have always wanted to do and be maybe a little disappointed than not go and always wonder what you missed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Church of the Presidents

Do you know about New York Ave. Presbyterian Church? Otherwise known as "Lincoln's church." It is a bit of a homeless camp, but it's worth seeing the contrasting architecture.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church of the Presidents

"The only problem is that the church is supposably only open for visitors from 1-3pm with the exception of Sundays where they offer free guided tours after morning service."

I was downtown this morning with some out-of-town family doing a White House tour. We finished up around 10:15 and wandered across the park to St. John's and the doors were opened. No one in sight. We spent a few minutes wandering around and snapped some pictures and didn't encounter anyone at all. So if you're in the area, stop by. Not sure I'd rearrange an itinerary around it though.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Church of the Presidents

Unless the policy has changed, St. John's sanctuary is open all day on weekdays. I worked for 20 years, next door at the Veterans Building. I always used to go sit briefly in the church, whenever our building had occasional fire-drills.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 22:37
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church of the Presidents

Thanx, den0li - I guess the NPS site is wrong

9. Re: Church of the Presidents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:16