We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In DC Suggestions

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One Day In DC Suggestions

Hey folks,

I'm travelling from the UK with my better half to Baltimore in September, and we've decided to try and squeeze a day in Washington to our trip.

We've booked a return train through Amtrak, arriving around 8am, leaving just after 10pm, and would love some suggestions as to how to spend our day.

We're fairly active, so we're happy to walk the distances, but it's hard to gauge how much you can really fit in a day anywhere without having been there before. This will probably be the only day we'll have to visit DC, so we'd love to fit in as many/the best of the sights/museums as possible (while obviously leaving enough time to appreciate them!).

Any ideas/suggestions? :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In DC Suggestions

I wish you would have come to us before you booked that Amtrak fare. Is it refundable? The MARC commuter train can likely get you to Washington at a third of the cost for Amtrak.

What sites do you have in mind for your visit? I think you need to start with some rough idea of what you'd like to see and then we can help you work out a plan to see it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,955 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In DC Suggestions

What day of the week it is could have a little impact on your plans. But what your interests are is the biggest factor. Some people would head directly to the National Gallery of Art. Others to the Air & Space Museum. There is just so much to see in DC, and one day just isn't going to be enough time. So you will need to pick and choose.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In DC Suggestions

We may well be able to cancel, although $48 for two return tickets seemed reasonable to me, maybe I've missed a trick! Our visit is on a Thursday.

The Air and Space Museum and the National Gallery of Art both look incredible, and we've had a look at the Newseum too, although we appreciate we probably won't fit all of these in.

We've heard it might be a good idea to target some of the Memorials & Monuments in the evening? Or are we better committing to a walking tour during the day to get the full experience?

Also, for things like Lunch/Dinner, are we better grabbing food on the go or are there some restaurants we should direct our attention towards?

We're fairly open as to how to group together our day, we'd just like to get some general ideas to put together an interesting day plan :)

Thanks for the replies!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,955 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day In DC Suggestions

If you read relevant topics on this forum, especially trip reports, you will get some ideas of what is available. Remember that all Smithsonian museums are free admission, so you can pop in to see a couple of things and then go onto another sight. The Newseum is rather expensive and really requires an absolute minimum of 3 hours to get much out of it. Some people spend the better part of two days there. I doubt you want to include it in your quick visit. Doing the monuments and memorials in the evening leaves more time for other things during the day.

5. Re: One Day In DC Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16