We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

(Thurs and Fri) and looking for things to do in DC. Posted below but realized I shd have been more specific about where we'll be staying. There is so much to do and so many recs on TA alone that I am completely overwhelmed. There will be 4 of us, all in our 40s. Also looking for great restaurants... Thanks !

Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

Mopsydog-- thanks for the references regarding things to do. I'm checking them right after I post.

Regarding Italian food, we're all formere NYers (and Ital-Amer!) who like to try Italian food in diff cities. SO wish we could get to Baltimore but we're on foot and really want to confine ourselves to DC. What about Italian food in Georgetown? We'll go anywhere in the city for a great rec, if there is one you can make. If we shd really just steer clear, you can tell me that too.

Thanks for all the help!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

elizk---As a native Bostonian who always took great Italian food for granted--that is until we moved here--I can honestly say that nothing compares to what you get further north. Suzanne mentioned Anna Maria's in the Dupont Circle area. We've been there and the food does come close to what you get up north--IMO, it's one of the better local Italian restaurants. The best thing about Anna Maria's--I thought--was their pasta which had a nice homemade taste to it. However, like every Italian restaurant I've tried in this area, there is always something missing--it's hard to explain but you just know that's it's not like places up north. Another poster who is a Long Island native said he likes Spezie (www.spezie.com) and said he thought it compared favorably. It is pricier than some other Italian restaurants, though. However, while I've yet to go there, it is on my "must try" list. Another tip---if you look at Italian restaurants in the DC Zagat guide, you can't trust the food ratings. For example, in the guide any restaurant getting a "20" or above for food is supposed to be very good to excellent. Recently, we tried an Italian restaurant in the DC Metro area that got a "20" for food and it was horrible! Interestingly enough, Anna Maria's is not in the Zagat guide--nor is our favorite local Italian place, Esposito's in Fairfax, VA.

And, Suzanne--you've given me an incentive to go back to Philly ASAP! LOL!

Seattle
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

Thanks so much, Suefee. I'll take your advice to heart and try and not expect too much from the Italian food. I did take a peek at the Anna Maria menu and it looks good but I'm hesitant to try it based on your experience. May I ask you a couple other questions regarding food...?

I've read a little about Dino-- any thoughts? Looks more Italian than Italian/Amer but that's still good to me.

If we want a taste of DC, what would you suggest? I'm thinking Old Ebbitt Grill. Since we only have two nights, would you use one to eat here or do you have another top rec? This is in our price range-- we don't necessarily want to jump up to $25-30 entrees.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

Old Ebbitt is excellent and definitely in your price range. I've also eaten upstairs at Red Sage (although not for a few years) and I recall it being reasonably priced and very good as well - maybe someone else has recent experience there.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

SueFee,

Curious - what Italian place did you try in the DC metro area with a food rating of a 20 that was horrible? Just so I can avoid!

Suzanne

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

elizk---I haven't tried Dino's--so can't comment on that. However, from looking at their listing in Zagat, it would appear that they have "Italian Tapas". If you do decide to try it, please post back and let us know what you thought. I agree with Suzanne about Old Ebbitt Grill (www.ebbitt.com). Clyde's, which is in Georgetown, is owned by the same people who own Old Ebbitt, and is good all-American fare (www.clydes.com).

Suzanne--The restaurant we tried was in Arlington on Pentagon Row. It was called Ristorante Murali. The only decent thing was the calamari appetizer--the rest of the meal was horrible. My husband had the lasagna and it had no cheese at all in it! I had a smoked salmon and pasta dish and the salmon tasted like it came out of a can---and this restaurant was rated "20" for food--well, back in the 2006 Zagat edition. Just looked in the '07 edition--it dropped to a "17"--even that is too generous!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

There is good Italian in DC, it's just expensive! I thought Tosca was very good, but if I recall correctly, entrees were in the mid-$20s. Notti Bianche is also supposed to be good, but again, probably out of your price range. As for typical DC, I'd agree with Old Ebbitt. It's fun with decent food.

18. Re: Staying at the Hotel George for two nights...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 09:18