We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Congressman's staff

N.IRELAND
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Congressman's staff

I have been fortunate to secure a private tour of the Capitol building with a staff member of a Congressman.

Is it appropriate to tip him and if so how much for a 1-1.5 hour tour ?

Thanks in anticipation of replies

DC
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

If you can make it seem like a bribe, you'll make the kid feel just like a real Congressman. But seriously, you don't tip them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

No, government employees are not tipped and cannot accept them. This would include park rangers and the guides on the public Capitol tours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

Government employees are the exception to tipping just about everyone in tourist spots. I believe it also applies to the volunteers who give tours in the museums and art galleries.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 13:59
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

The guy is paid plenty to give the tours. And US government people are not allowed to accept gifts from citizens for doing their job. Just thank him/her a couple of times.

Actually, I volunteer at a Smithsonian museum; when someone offers me money, I suggest they put it in the donation box next to the (stuffed) Elephant.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 15:56
5. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 17:37
Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

Although they could probably accept a small, token gift of appreciation from home.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

If you want to "tip" the staffer, send a note to your Member of Congress' office thanking them for arranging the tour and saying what a great job the staffer did. Use their name! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

No. Do not tip the staffer or the Capitol Visitor Center employee (wearing a red coat or shirt) for the tour. As others have said, government employees may not accept tips or additional compensation for performing their official duties.

dctravel

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

This subject piqued my curiosity, especially this past weekend when we had a Congressional tour of the Capita securedl thru my Senator's office.

We had three new interns guide us.. Fairly sure, but not 100% , that they are unpaid interns (two still in school, one recently graduated) and as such, aren't technically covered under Federal employment laws. I assume that a term of their internship agreement is that they cannot accept gratuities or gifts but can anyone elaborate/clarify........

10. Re: Tipping Congressman's staff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 21:05