We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Question (very basic)

memphis
Level Contributor
41 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Question (very basic)

Hi,

Sorry for this simple question, but I would rather look like an idiot on this forum than in front of a bus driver. I have looked at the Metro's site and I grew up in Montgomery County and used to take the Ride On for a quarter a long, long, time ago.

Now I am planning a trip to DC, where I haven't been in almost 20 years and I was wondering about how to take the bus. I used to take the Metro every day, but never the bus.

If I am a family of four and we board and the fare is $1.75, do we pay separately, do we have to use cash or can I charge the four of us? How does it work? I am so used to charging everything nowadays. Do cabs there take credit cards?

Sorry if the answers have been posted before, I did a quick search with no luck.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

You can either pay cash for each person, no change given. You will have to put 4 separate 1.75 fares into a little cash box in front of the bus driver. You cannot put $10 in there and pay for 4 people. Most people use a Smartrip Card, it's like a rechargeable credit card, same shape and feel, that you use to pay for metro and buses. Each person must have their own card. You can search this forum for "smartrip card" questions to see how to get one, or go to www.wmata.com.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

You very very likely won't need to take a bus the whole time you're here. Metro train and walking will get you most places, and for the instances where those aren't the best options, it's always much much easier to just hail a cab rather than study the bus schedule to figure out when you need to be at the bus stop to avoid missing the bus and waiting a half hour for the next one. For four people, a cab probably won't be much more expensive either, depending on the trip.

And yes, all DC cabs now take credit cards.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

Check out the "DC Circulator" too. Its routes might be more useful from your new, visiting, perspective.

On the other hand, for "seeing the world" Metrobus has no equal. Some scenic routes (not for everyone! but seeing as to how you know Ride On) include the 96 from the Duke Ellington bridge (Woodley Park) to Lincoln Park (then hike to Eastern Market), and D6 from Wisconsin & R in upper Georgetown to Union Station.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

"UkieDC", Are you certain about having to pay exactly $1.75, 4 times? I believe a party of 4 can pay a flat $7.00.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 04:43
Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

Why not use a SmarTrip card? You'll receive a discount off the cash fare and free bus transfers and discounted rail transfers.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

See www.wmata.com for more info.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 20:02
7. Re: Bus Question (very basic)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16