We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

What a great forum this is!

I had hoped to do more research before booking my vacation for October 14-21, but after doing some casual checking at the top vacation websites, like orbitz, expedia, travelzoo, and hotels.com, I came across what seemed like an incredible rate on priceline.com, so I jumped on it.

Eight days, seven nights at the Hotel Madison for $1063.13! This includes roundtrip airfare on United into DCA from the West Coast. I think the airfare was about $263, so that means the Madison is only costing me about $115 per night!

According to Trip-Advisor, the average rate at the Madison is $330!

So I guess the question is--did I get a good deal, or do they have a "special" room out back next to the trash cans that they are going to put me in?

The reviews (47) here seem to be mostly upbeat and positive--I hope I don't get the "lemon" room with the toilets that don't flush!

(There's no way I can change the reservation, I'm just curious what to expect.)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,186 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

Looks like a good deal to me - the regular rates are $199 for that time frame per their website. They were either just going through renovations or getting ready to at some point soon, I recall seeing something in the local paper a couple months back...

My (somewhat limited) experience with Priceline rooms has been positive. Got a very nice room at Le Parker Meridien in New York City a couple years ago, and got upgraded to an Exec room in Las Vegas when i used them there. So hopefully you'll have a working toilet lol.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

I did have one problem with priceline. I selected transfers to and from the airport (DCA), which are done by SuperShuttle for $12 each way. Then I clicked the "SUBMIT" button.

After accepting the payment, there was a big warning message at the top that read "we could not process your transfers". So basically, priceline didn't charge me for the transfers, but isn't going to provide them either.

Luckily, SuperShuttle has an online reservation system, so I was able to reserve a shuttle at the end of my vacation from the hotel to the airport. But they don't make reservations from the airport to the hotel. I called them, and the rep said "there's a SuperShuttle kiosk at the Airport, and there is always someone available to take you to your hotel."

I also learned here in this wonderful forum, that a taxi from DCA costs about the same ($12), so one way or another, it looks like I'll make it to the hotel.

And if that fails, last resort is the MetroRail, which runs from DCA to McPherson Square, about three blocks from the Hotel Madison. But that would be a real pain to have to carry luggage.

NOTHING is going to ruin my vacation! ;)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

I say go with the taxi. Super Shuttle can take a while if you have to wait for several passengers or if it makes a few stops before getting to your hotel (you never know).

By the way, that does sound like a very good deal on the hotel. I hope you get a nice room!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

I think you got an excellent deal on the hotel. The Madison went through a total renovation about 4 years ago (they closed the hotel, gutted the building and the totally rebuilt it). I have never been in one of their rooms, but the lobby and restaurant area are very nice.

I think you will be very happy with that price and the location.

5. Re: Madison Hotel--deal of the century?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:21