We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolly Sods Hiking

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dolly Sods Hiking

Hi all: we a family of 2 adults and 2 kids and will be in and around Davis, WV April 6 thru April 12. We were wanted to hike around Dolly Sods (day hikes) but are a bit leary given reiews that indicate the trails are not that well marked. Do you know if there are any experienced hikers who might be willing to take us along on a day hike in that area. the kids are up to it, i'd just prefer we went with an experienced person so we dont get lost or "bogged" down :). Thx Vijay.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

I must confess, my husband and I have never gone more than 2 hours on any of the trails, but we are two easily confused senior citizens and have never gotten lost yet.

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Thanks Carolph, that's good to hear :). I spke with teh forest office. looks like the north side is closed for now, so we'd have to do Trail 508 on the south side. Do you know anything about it? pretty v. dull etc..? thx chitra

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Stay off Dobbin Grade...it about ate us alive with the bogs! :) Way too wet, even in July! I'll see if I can find a link to a trail map which might help a lot. We only found 1 trail not marked when we were there.

…army.mil/kd/…20vertical.pdf

That's too long, but maybe you can cut and paste. If you are there in June/July and the mountain laurel is blooming, Harman trail can't be beat!

Here are links to a couple of our photos from there...we loved, loved hiking there!

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=474926

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=474922

Also part of the trail...maybe part of Blackbird Knob...

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=474927

Hope this helps a little. We didn't think any of the trails were difficult...just Dobbin Grade had a crossing the same creek several times and we were in mud about to our knees..........

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Thx so much. Looks like access to the north circuit is closed as per the forest station. So we're stuck going to the south on service road 19, to Trail 508 Rohrbaugh trail. Any thoughts on that?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

We haven't done that one, but I like the views...might have some bog. Here's a trip link.

virginiatrailguide.com/2011/…

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Thx so much will chk it out.

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Hi All: I just wanted to drop a quick note on Dolly Sods for all of you. We did go to DS Wilderness area. Since it was early april, we had to park part way thru Fireroad 75 and walk the gravel road to the parking area. no problem wiht that. Then we did trail 522 to 524, and then after a viewpoint on 524 we retraced our steps. In total 13miles incl the 1.5 miles up to the parking area. couple points for all future walkers:

a. Utterly magical. We had bright blue skies, to snow flurries to rain to some hail and it was all magnificent :) especially walking thru the meadows on trail 522.

b. the signposting was great!! it was quiet and we only met one other couple all the way, but it was not difficult to find our way at all. reminded me of a mix of scotland and wales and maine and everything else in between.

So completely recommend walking there :)

CT, USA
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

lastly we found the trail directions and report from midatlantichikes.com - north circuit hike very useful. we avoided the boggy parts by our route discussed above. Best CHitra

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Thanks, Chitra! We'll be heading that way in June or July and it's good to know some addition info!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolly Sods Hiking

Can't wait to do this hike too!! Leaving soon.

Curious why out/back vs. the loop suggested by Midatlantichikes.com