We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-77 things to do?

Midland, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
I-77 things to do?

I'll be camping near Burnsville, WV. I'm coming from Charlotte and considering taking a day trip to Pittsburgh while camping in Burnsville. I'll be traveling via I-77, therefore, I am looking into things along I-77 such as waterfalls, wildlife/animal places, historic sights, scenic spots, odd attractions, or just an attraction in general. I've read about the mothman stuff and that's on my list. Oh, and I'm not a hiking person. I'll be with my mother and three boys aging 6-13 if that helps. Thanks in advance. :)

Arnoldsburg
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-77 things to do?

If you are camping at Burnsville, you won't be traveling I-77 to Pittsburgh unless you go WAY out of your way.

If you mean I-79, that is different. But there is not much to see along the interstate in West Virginia. There are many places off the interstate if you don't mind doing a little driving on side roads.

There is Jackson's Mills. Home of "Stonewall" Jackson. At Weston there is the old state hospital building. Not much for it's history, but a very beautiful building. Build all out of cut stone.

Your best bet would be to go to www.wvtourism.com. Or www.wv.gov and follow the link for visiting West Virginia.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-77 things to do?

You'll be on Interstate 77 before you get to Charleston, and as peterpan2011 said, you'll need to get on Interstate 79. But your BEST bet is to get off of I-77 in Beckley and head north on Rt 19 (4-lane highway). So much to see and do, starting with the New River Gorge Bridge. Whitewater Rafting, fun dining, eclectic shopping, state parks, waterfalls, overlooks, all within a short drive of Rt 19. I'll provide some links below.

As for Mothman, unfortunately that is a completely different part of the state (Check Google Maps for Point Pleasant, and you'll see that you'll be 100+ miles away). Burnsville is a pretty lake, but quite rural. Not much around that part of the state, so be prepared.

Here are a few links to get you started.

www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/nrgbridge.htm

http://www.babcocksp.com/

http://www.hawksnestsp.com/

http://www.piesandpints.net/

http://visitfayettevillewv.com/

http://www.summersvillecvb.com/

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-77 things to do?

Like WVParkFan says above, you will be on I-77 just to Beckley, then get on Rt. 19 north heading to Sutton and Burnsville. (you said in a previous post that you might be staying in Sutton?) Burnsville is on up I-79. Pittsburg is still a do-able day trip. A little over 2 hours on up the Interstate.

Sounds like you need to look at a map of WV. Just go to 'google maps' and type in either Sutton or Burnsville and take a look at the Interstates and Rts that you will take to get there.

And yes, DO get off in Fayetteville at the Bridge information center. Walk to the overlook. Breathtaking!

Midland, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-77 things to do?

Now that I look like a total idiot - lol - I meant 79. I don't know why I put 77 other than that's what I'll be starting on. I know that Point Pleasant is a very far drive but it interested me. If that's all that I could find to do while up there I figured I might drive it and make it a day trip. After this post, I did see the hospital stuff and I'm thinking about checking that out instead of doing Point Pleasant. I'll be doing a lot of traveling on 79 so I figured somewhere between Charleston (family reunion is near there) and Pittsburgh (family lives up there) there might be some interesting things that maybe more locals know about than websites. Like down here we have a "bleeding tombstone" and people hear about it more from locals. There isn't any info on websites about it. Normally, we just do the reunion and don't do much else. This year I've decided to make this a multi-trip and see how much I can pack into it. Thanks for the info and sorry about looking like an idiot. :)

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-77 things to do?

In Beckley. A stop not far off I 77 would be Exhibition Coal Mine. Allow and hour or two in your driving schedule depending on how much of the exhibit you check out.

Little ways up RT 19 is Fayetteville. Might research some of the outfitters and see what any of them would have that would interest your family. Bulk of the activities are pretty much for teens and adults. Adventures On The Gorge has Adventure (obstacle) Course that might work for all the kids. If anything a walk around New River Bridge overlook would be interesting stop.

Odd? 10-15 miles west of RT 19 on RT 60 you would see Mystery Hole. Road side freak show that has been there since the sixties. Looks like it hasn't been painted or cleaned since it first opened. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the suveineers(sp)?) aren't from same decade. The tour? First few minutes you'll think what did I just pay for. The last room is worth the entire entry fee. The kids and adults will get a kick out of it. Saw similar attraction on Travel Channel. All clean and modern. Think the freak show atmosphere of this one is what makes it unique.

Research Summersville Lake. Not sure if there would be anything for the family.

While at Burnsville. Short drive around and through the woods to French Creek Game Farm. More or less a wildlife zoo. Not your normal lion and elephant exhibit. All animals you would find in the woods and hills of WV.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-77 things to do?

And...off of Rt 19 in the Summersville area is Good Evening Ranch. They have a petting zoo, exotic animals, restaurant, lodging too.

http://www.goodeveningranch.net/index.html

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-77 things to do?

Also, in Summersville is Summerville Lake Retreat with a light house that over looks Summersville Lake. $7.00 entrance fee Great View! It is 49 mins from the I 79 exit. It is just off Rt 19 which is a four lane highway and connects you with Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Also, 1 hr from the Rt 19 exit on I 79 is West Adventures a river rafting company which sets up a rafting trip to accommodate your family. ...the mild scenic version or wild and wonderful! Google West Adventures. Rob Dodson does a fantastic job explain about the New and Gauley River rafting experience and he is just off Rt 19. Plus, he has camping and cabins for rent at very reasonable prices.

Both of these has restaurants, gas, and a Wal-Mart close by.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-77 things to do?

.. So are you looking for things on I-79 to do on the way to Pittsburgh, or things to do on I-77 on the way to Burnsville, WV?

Pilot Mountain State Park is about 20 minutes from I-77 and the parking lot is at the top with a beautiful overlook. You may want to consider this for a small side track on your way to WV. www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/pimo/main.php

9. Re: I-77 things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:20