We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes 50 & 33

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Routes 50 & 33

We are coming down from Ohio to Massanutten Va. and the direct fastest mapquest route quotes a bunch of interstates. Fast but not exciting or interesting. An Alternative route has us going down 250 to I77. From there it is ROUTE 50 AND THEN 33 all the way across into Va. It seems to sound more interesting but is it a difficult drive or an interesting alternative????

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Routes 50 & 33

See the response in Virginia to this questions. Rte 33 is a good choice if you don't mind some stretches of crooked. Basically, Rt 50 to I 79 in Weston, WV. In Weston, take 33 East towards Elkins and into Harrisonburg. Crooked in stretches and a nice drive all the way. Some is 4 lane. All in better than interstate.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routes 50 & 33

Difficult? Well only if you are driving in bad weather, like snow...it is a curvy road, (33, not 50) after you get past Elkins, it is a two-lane country-type road. Interesting? Yes, beautiful area, and you will go past Seneca Rocks St. Park, an extremely picturesque area!!

Really, it would be a nice drive - expecially if you are going when the leaves are changing.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Routes 50 & 33

Thanks beachlady, I always appreciate the help. We are actually travelling Saturday which is probably a little early for leaves but should still be nice!!

Bridgeport, West...
Level Contributor
36 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Routes 50 & 33

Crooked, yes; Difficult, no. Beautiful, extremely !!!!!!!!!!!!! I grew up in that area, and yes, you will probably love the interesting curvy road, beautiful mountains. You will be near a lot of interesting places, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, near Cass Scenic Railroad, Astronmy in Green Bank, WV, Ski resorts. Would recommend this way.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Routes 50 & 33

Thanks WVShopper anything I need to know about the area like no gas stations for 100 miles, sharp corners not marked, etc.????

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Routes 50 & 33

You will find gas stations, and neat little country stores and mom and pop-type resturants, fresh produce stands, antique shops, etc.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Routes 50 & 33

Just re-read your first post. Rt 50 from I-77 to I 79 is all four lane. No problems at all through there.

Rt 50 continues on across from Bridgeport to Winchester VA. All two lane.

Rt 33 is further south on I 79 at Weston. It runs across to Harrisonburg, VA. Four lane out past Elkins and then two lane into VA.

Either route, if you're traveling through during the day you should be fine. Roads are well marked and shouldn't have problem with gas stations. To be safe fill up at I 79. I wouldn't recommend a night time trip through there if you're not familiar with the area..

Maybe some of the others would have actual names and locations of great places to eat. I was in the area doing contract work and stayed in Davis. Older/dated Days Inn. Restaurant nothing fancy. But the food was the best I've had. And the portions you wouldn't believe. Better than any chain restuarant.

8. Re: Routes 50 & 33

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 06:25