We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Door County

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Door County

My wife and I are hoping to get away for a long weekend without kids to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We were in Door County many years ago and really liked the excitement of Fish Creek. Looking online it seems that the nicer accommodations are in places other than fish creek.

Does anyone have suggestions about where we might stay in Fish Creek of elsewhere where we can have nice accommodations and still be close to restaurants and some night life. We aren't real Bed and Breakfast types. The Ashebrooke in Egg Harbor looks like something we would like, but I remember Egg Harbor having less restaurants, pubs and shops.

Thanks in advance for your help

madison, wi
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Door County

Egg Harbor now is a happening place to stay and experience Door County. Busy main road most days and early evenings during high season. Great restaurants--haven't had a bad one. Trio, those on the water, old hotel is now a restaurant too.In Fish Creek, you'll like the White Gull Inn--I think they have cottages and private baths these days. Go for brunch and fish boil no matter what. My mom just stayed at The Settlement--said it was fine. The demand is so high in Door County places have to be good or they don't last. The Chamber of Commerce used to be able to assist with last minute bookings/availability (daily). May still be a good resource. I stayed at a local motel across from the public beach in Fish Creek a few years ago. Nothing fancy but just fine. Enjoy--one of my favorite things to do!

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Door County

Although we've never stayed at the Ashebrooke, we've driven past it ALOT. Usually we stay at the Landmark for convenience. The Ashbrooke is beautiful from the outside. I'm sure the inside is just as elegant.

Egg Harbor is defintely a great place to be. You're so close to everything. There is shopping, CJ's supper club, Trio, and don't forget Shipwrecked for some microbrews. Trio would be very nice for dinner on your anniversary or the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek.

P.S. The bakery at the Egg Harbor market can't be beat!! It's wonderful!!

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Door County

Oh one more tip, you might not want to eat at the Log Den on Hwy. 42, at least not until they figure out their water woes.

You can do a search at the GreenBay Press Gazette site for more info, but 100 people fell ill when dining there during the last week of May.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Door County

we have stayed at the Landmark in Egg Harbor and it's very nice.

we have been staying there for years.

hope you enjoy your trip!

Milwaukmee
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Door County

I have been staying at the Square Rigger Lodge for the last 20yrs.

It is located in Jackonport on the quiet side. Small motel rite on the water, great Fish Boil, friendly people and lots of beach for romantic walks.

You can always drive to the other side for all the other stuff.

www.squareriggerlodge.com

Have fun

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Door County

Roamnce??? Check out the Chanticleer Guest house in Sturgeon Bay. No kids, pool, quiet.

7. Re: Where to stay in Door County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:19