We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Touristy Door County?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Non Touristy Door County?

We'll have our first visit to Door County the second week of August and will be staying at Ephraim Shores. We're looking for suggestions on stuff to do that is 'non-touristy.' We like hiking and outdoor activities, historical sites, and beautiful scenery. We don't particularly like crowds or lots of shopping, but would do some shops if it was quaint and not too crowded.

Ideas anyone?

chardob

North Dakota
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

We are going the first week in Aug for the first time This is what I have been told

- Stone throw winery great - check out when they have music

-Fish creek for shopping - best stores not touristy

-Hike Peninsula park first trail and tower trail

-the two shows that are unforgettable little shop of horror and Tempest

-Must try fish boil they all say best is Pelletiers

-Trolley tours

-Not Licked - Best frozen custard in the world

-Hands on studio -rainy day

-JC Junction serves your food on train that come to your table

things not recommended

washington island takes to long to get there nothing to do when you do

dont shop Carlsville or Egg harbor tourist traps

Like I said already we have not been there but have read alot and asked alot of questions hope this has been helpful

Also was said you must see sunset @ sunset park at least once

Hope you enjoy your fun days

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

I disagree. I think most of Fish Creek's shopping is touristy. That's the heart of the tourist area.

Egg Harbor isn't as busy when it comes to shopping. You'll also find lots of places to do things. If you go to www.doorcounty.com you'll find some interesting places to visit.

Peninsula State Park is wonderful for hiking and enjoying the scenery. Fish Creek is the most crowded area of Door County. There are some quaint shopping places in Ephriam (downtown) all connected by mulched walking paths. It was a lot of fun (and not busy). It was a fun place to walk to get a snack, etc.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

For historical sites get some information on visiting light houses.

Door County is also great for biking.

I don't know about the response indicating there is not much on Washington Isalnd, but I think you can get away from crowds there. There are a couple of small museums and you can take a ferry from Washington Island to Rock Island State Park, no cars or even bikes allowed, so I am sure you can gety away from crowds there.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

I don't think anything in Door County is overly "touristy." They've done a good job of keeping out all of the major retailers and keeping things local.

If you enjoy camping, I highly recommend Newport State Park. They have limited campsites and some great hiking. All campsites are backpack sites, but they are mostly all directly on Lake Michigan.

For traditions sake, at least drive by (if not stop in) at Wilson's http://www.wilsonsicecream.com in Ephraim. I also think the best breakfast is at the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek. Some GREAT cherry pancakes and the coffee cake is to die for!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
613 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

Visit Potawami State park just south of Sturgeon Bay. It's less crowded than Peninsula Park and has good hiking. A good place to see the warter is along bay shore road in SturgeonBay there is a new small park and boat launch whith great views of Green Bay. I think its the quarry park or something like that.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

I also have to disagree about Washington Island. Take the ferry and then hop on the Rock Island State Park Ferry. You can hike all the way around the island and go up into the lighthouse. There are few people and it is very beautiful. Schoolhouse Beach on the island is pretty early morning or late evening after the kids have left.

Otherwise all the state parks are great. Whitefish Dunes has some trails where you won't see another person. Peninsula State Park is my favorite and all the trails there are great. Newport State Park is very quiet, we hiked the 7 mile Europe Bay trail and never saw another person (in July). Right next to Whitefish Dunes is Cave Point County Park. There are neat sea caves there and never a lot of people.

Have fun. We also don't like crowds and have never had a problem getting away from them in Door County. Most people go there to shop, so head out of town and you should have no problems.

Kewaskum, WI
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

The county parks in Door County are free and a good place to hike. Also if you took the ferry to Washington Island and then to Rock Island, it 's a road less traveled in the area. My favorite is the Eagle Bluff Trail at Peninsula State Park , but it is also the choice of many others. Have fun.

8. Re: Non Touristy Door County?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:16