We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

My husband and I are going to Wis. for a wedding in July and have decided to stay and vacation for a week. Where is the best place to stay in the state? The Dells? The coast by Lake Michigan? I have never been to Wis before and clueless. ANY help would be appreciated!! thank you!

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

Where is the wedding being held?

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
283 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

Head up to the Northwoods; clean air, lakes, bike trails and good food. Look at Minocqua, Eagle River, Boulder Junction and Manitowish Waters areas.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

The "best" place to stay is very subjective and based on what kinds of things you like.

Wisconsin offers great outdoor activities and hundreds of inland lakes along with Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee and Madison offer cultural opportunities and a lot of fun city activities.

Sports fans might enjoy a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game or a trip to the Packer Hall of Fame in Green Bay.

I believe the new Harley Davidson Museum is scheduled to open in Milwaukee before July.

The Dells is the Midwest playground, enjoyed most by kids, but adults are known to vacation there too.

Some insight into the type of things you enjoy might result in more specific recommendations.

arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

Thanks guys for the info so far. Here's some info on what we like: We would like to indulge in cultural/city type stuff and good food. However we also love to relax in quiet places outdoors, hike, and love the beach and water type stuff.

The wedding is in Watertown, but figured we would stay our vacation time in either the Greenbay area or the milwaukee area... any suggestions are great! thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,218 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

There is a lot going on in Milwaukee in July. That is good news and bad in that hotels may be expensive and sometimes hard to come by.

Summerfest is a huge music festival that runs thru July 6th. I have not seen a summer schedule yet, but I believe the followig two weekends will be Batille Days, a huge downtown street festival followed by Festa Italiana on the Summerfest grounds.

Bastille and Festa run Thursday thru Sunday, so Monday thru Wednesday will be a little quieter those weeks.

Milwaukee has a very nice Art Museum on the lakefront downtown and the lakefront is also great for hiking.

Milwuakee also has great dining options with lots of places to eat outside during the summer.

You might also think of going to a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game.

If you have time from Watertown you might think of going to Devils Lake State Park in Baraboo for the day. It is a beautiful lake with a swimming beach and cliffs for hiking.

Some websites that might help you out are travelwisconsin.com, escapetowisconsin.com., onmilwaukee.com and jsonline.com, which is the website of the Milwaukee Journal newspaper.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

For a short drive from Watertown, you can head to Holy Hill in Hartford or hike up to Pikes Peak at the Pike Lake State park...also in Hartford, then if you get hungry, downtown Hartford is a very nice plase to eat called "The Mineshaft". (Upstaires is a HUGE playground for chilren up t 18!! The biggest video/game room around!)

Also in Hartford is a the historic Auto Museum.

Man....I gues I never knew there was that much to do here...till I started tying it out!

arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

what's the latest you think we should reserve at hotels or B&Bs for late July?

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
283 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

I would be looking and booking sooner than later; July and August are the big tourist months in WI.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

Shann--

Did you see the private message I sent you?

I would make your reservations for the night(s) of the wedding. Your 2 main choices for lodging in Watertown are the Holiday Inn Express and the

Super 8. The is little difference between the two and they located virutally across the road from one another. Book which ever one gives you the best rate. Make those reservations soon as it is not uncommon for the hotels to fill up on summer weekends.

Sun Prairie WI
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been! Where to vacation in the state??

Hands down, you should look into Door County!! It's the thumb of Wisconsin, just up the road from Green Bay. If you are interested in good food, the beach, quiet, beautiful, fun, this is the place. We go there 3-4 times a year! Summer is great because there is lots of biking, golf, trails in the state parks to walk, charter fishing etc. There is 1st class dining, family places, a bakery to die for in Sister Bay, theater-outdoor, musicals and plays, really there is something for everyone. I would love to help you plan your adventure, just let me know!!