We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip ideas with kids

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Topic
Day trip ideas with kids

Would like some ideas on where to take 2 active kids (boy 8, girl 6) who will be visiting this summer. We are only looking at day trips and do not want to go anywhere near the dells or children;s museums. We are considering the Jelly Belly factory tour and area zooz. Any other ideas or comments on the above, particulary the milwaukee zoo? Thanks.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

Day trips from where?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

I guess that would help, huh?! We will be based between Oshkosh and Appleton. We may consider 1 overnight somewhere depending on the attraction and locale or even a train trip from milwaukee into chicago...

Portage
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

I think the Jelly Belly factory tour is pretty boring. I really think the kids would be bored.You ride on this small train like thing and drive around a big warehouse listening to a narative. The zoo in Madison is pretty nice. I am going to be a chaperone on my grandsons field trip there Wed. I can give you more info on the zoo after that. It has been a few years since I have been there.

Baraboo has Circus World Museum which is pretty cool. Ochner(not sure on the spelling of that) Park is there also. It has a small zoo area and a nice playground.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

The Milwaukee zoo is definitely worth a day trip. It is not quite on par with Brookfield in Chicago or the San Diego zoo, but it is classed as one of the top zoos in the country.

If you are looking for parks, Kohler-Andre State park on Lake Michigan south of Sheboygan is really nice. There are easy hikes thru the sand dunes and, of course the beach.

I am not sure about a train ride to Chicago for the day. I think that would make for a pretty long day. I believe there is a steam train, could be North Freedom, that is a tourist attraction, rather than tranport from point A to point B. That might be more fun for the kids than Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago.

Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo is also really nice and you could take a free ferry ride across the Wisconsin River at Merrimac.

I think Bay Beach in Green Bay still has kid's rides, gerared toward the 6 and 8 year old crowd.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

thanks everyone for the ideas and comments. I was tinhking the jelly belly place would be boring too, so good to hear comments. The milwaukee zoo is on our list, but hadn't considered the circus world, so will look into that further as well as the free ferry ride on Merrimac. We also have EAA on our list. We have to Bay Beach in Green Bay before and so have the kids, so that's out. Any other ideas are certainly welcome since we have 3 more weeks.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
615 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

Stay overnight in a hotel with a water park outside the dells--it's less $$$. The timber lodge in Green Bay has rooms at a fair price that include water park admission. Then Green bay also has the NEW Zoo.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

We've been to the Dells and done Green Bay before. The kids don't care for waterparks or museums. We're looking more toward the south and far eastern wis. for activities,preferably outside. Thansk for yoru response. i have some good ideas now.

Portage
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

I chaperoned my grandsons 1st grade class today to the Madison Zoo. I have to tell you, the kids loved it.

There is a nice park area with picnic tables so you could bring a lunch. Plenty of animals to see. There is also a building with a lot of hands on things for the kids.

There is a merry - go - round of animals the kids can ride for $1.00. There is also a playgound in the park that is really cool. It is hard to describe, but there is a big rock they can climb, boxes with hidden things that first they feel and try to guess what it is, then they open the lid to see. There is also a HUGE tree that the kids can climb inside to the top with a bridge and a slide.

As I said, all the kids loved it.

They do have snack bars, but they are pretty pricey. They also have a gift shop.

If you plan on going to Madison, I would be sure to make it a stop.

It has been years since I have been to the Milwaukee Zoo, but when I took my kids there when they were about your grandkids age, it was almost to big for them.

Hope this helps.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

What about Old World Wisconsin?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip ideas with kids

Thanks for the zoo update. I tihnk its a little closer for us than Madison and probably less of a road hassle. (by the way, we're the hip and cool, spoil you rotten, aunt and uncle to the kids. No kids or grandkids here!)

I am not familar with Old Wisonsin. Can you provide more info?!