We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip suggestions from Chicago?

illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip suggestions from Chicago?

with airfare costs high, we are considering a weekend getaway road trip. We're in the Chicago suburbs, and have never taken a road trip before. Somewhere within 4 hours from here.

We were thinking any of the following, plus any other places you can suggest: Lake Geneva, House on the Rock in Wisc, Mount Horeb in Wisc, St. charles.

We are looking to go for 2-3 days, need a cheap hotel (we usually stay in a Holiday Inn type place - clean, cheap, simple). We like to walk around town, shop, eat steak/italian/seafood. I'd like to maybe go to a winery, or see the local attractions (i.e. House on the Rock or the Trollway in Mt. Horeb). Maybe a boat cruise, and some fun place at night. We're 29 & 32 and casual (no martini bars type of places, just jeans & t-shirt bars).

We've already been to Galena, and I don't do roller coasters/waterparks (i.e. Dells). We'd love a casual, walking type getaway, or a romantic jacuzzi-in-the-room lodge-type getaway with massages, etc. Either will work!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip suggestions from Chicago?

Take a look at this website, www.uplands.ws. This is the area west of Madison. The House on the Rock is near Dodgeville as is Governor Dodge State Park. Mineral Point is a neat old town with lots of shops. New Glarus is a Swiss town.

You will find lots of things to do without the crowds of the major tourist areas like the Dells or Lake Geneva. Lake Geneva is nice, but affordable lodging may be more difficult there.

The only winery I recommend is Wollersheim in Prairie du Sac, north of Madison, south of Baraboo. Wollersheim has really good wines and free tasting and tours.

The other Wisconsin wineries tend more to fruit type sweet wines, cranberry, cherry, etc. but Wollersheim has only real wines made from good grapes produced on site and it is in a beautiful setting. It very much remids me of a Napa Valley winery.

If you get a chance to go to Wollersheim you might also check out Devil's Lake State Park.

There are also some good breweries in the Uplands area. I love the Spotted Cow from New Glarus brewery.

There is a hotel chain called AmericInn that has (sometimes) affordable jacuzzi suites. We stayed at one in Monroe.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip suggestions from Chicago?

Madison is nice for a weekend. The city is ringed by low cost motels especially on the east side. See the Zoo, capitol building, state street is fun at night but there is a college slant to the fun. There are five lakes in the city with boat rentals and parks to picnic.

3. Re: Road Trip suggestions from Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:26