We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's in Wisconsin???

orlando, FL
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's in Wisconsin???

I am trying to plan a trip for my husband's 40th Birhtday. He wants to see Lambeau Field. I am going to try to arrange a nice trip around that. I am going to get a tour of the stadium and try to get tickets. I figure we will go around Oct of 2009...he loves to see the leaves change and I think Oct is a good time for that.

Is there anything that you guys can suggest? We will be taking some friends and kids with us (young kids) and we are active people. Is there a good cheese tour? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks so much.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

Once you get to Wisconsin do you want to stay in the Green Bay area for your entire trip?

If so, Door County is the peninsula of land near Green Bay that sticks out into Lake Michigan like a finger, if you look at a map. Door County is a vacation destination with lots of things to do. If you look thru old posts on the Wisconsin forum you will find lots of info on Door County.

There is a Packers Hall of Fame that you should plan on seeing along with a tour of Lambeau. I believe Lambeau tours are done every day except game days, of course.

There are also restaurants and shops in Lambeau that are open all the time, not just for games.

Fall can be a very nice time in Wisconsin. Apple and pumpkin picking can be fun for kids. I am sure there are places around Green Bay, but I am not familiar with them.

www.travelwisconsin.com might give you some ideas of things to do and you can also google lambeau field or Green Bay Packers to get more info on tours, etc.

I am not sure when the 2009 NFL schedule comes out, but I know it comes out pretty early in the calendar year, so you can plan your trip around a home game.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

I'm not sure when the leaves change up there, but it can be late September-early October. I'm in NW WI and ours are beginning to turn.

There's the train museum which is very nice:

www.nationalrrmuseum.org/en-us/default.aspx

Unfortunately you'll be later in the season but a great place to go with kids on the cheap and not too noisy is Bay Beach Amusement (also go carts nearby) and for nature across the street and FREE is Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary. We love both of these. Not only are they cheap (or free) but fun.

Door Cty. is nearby and you can camp, hike, fish and so much more related to the outdoors. You're close enough I wouldn't pass this area up.

…green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/…baybeachhome.html

http://www.baybeachwildlife.com/

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

Door County is an hour north of Green Bay, and has a variety of things to do from beautiful state parks to evening theater. Check www.doorcounty.com and www.doorcountynavigator.com.

I gotta ask...what in the world is a "cheese tour"?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

www.wisconline.com/attractions/cheese.html

cheese factories/tours in WI, hope this helps.

orlando, FL
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

Thanks for all the help...I will have to look into Door county. We do not have to stay in Green Bay.

Cheese tours??? Well, I would think they are like wine tours. Where you tour the place that makes cheeses. :)

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

Door Co. is a good idea from Green Bay. They don't have a tour, but Renards, a cheese "factory" and shop in Southern Door Co., south of Sturgeon Bay, near Brussels, is a great stop for fresh inexpensive Real Cheese.

Midwest
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

Door County would be a GREAT place to see the fall colors. Depending on weather you can see beautiful colors from the first to third week of October. There are several state parks as well as shopping and wineries.

Egg Harbor offers Pumpkin Patch Festival on Columbus Day weekend and Sister Bay has Fall Festival the following weekend, so you will have pleanty of things to do.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

You should make plans to tour the Schopf's Hilltop Dairy Farm, near Egg Harbor. It is a fun place, esp. for kids, but we all had fun. You can see the cows get milked via a large viewing area/window, there are interactive exhibits, video, playground, ice cream shop, gift shop, and they sell cheese.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

There are tons of things to do in Wisconsin Dells. Take a duck tour - beautiful scenery. Some great hiking at Devil's Lake State Park. There are tons of hotels with indoor waterparks/amusement parks.

Plenty of things to do there!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's in Wisconsin???

If we use this year as a guage, the leaves are already falling. I would say the first week in October at the latest. My parents took a ride up north last weekend (to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.. U.P. for short) and said the leaves up there were already changing and brilliant in colors.

There are plenty of apple orchards and cherry orchards up in Door County. THIS year was a terrible year however. The unpredictable spring killed off most of the crops. Who knows what next year will bring.

There are some excellent county parks and state parks up in Door County. I would take the time to at least take a day or two up there. It's not a long drive. For the sake of "estimating time", if you were to look at a map, it is only 45 minutes drive from the west side of Green Bay to Sturgeon Bay. And it's all 4 lane highway now. Past that, it turns to 2 lane highway, but it all gets more quaint with each passing village. One of the things that hasn't been mentioned about the state parks is this: They require either a yearly pass (for them all) or a daily pass for each. It's not cheap. It's probably $8 a day for each park, or $24 for the year for an unlimited pass to -all- the parks. It pretty much makes sense to buy the yearly pass, at least for us. For someone visiting the area, it's a tough choice. The funny thing is, as I think about it, the sticker they give you is supposed to be put into the windshield of your vehicle.... One other thing, and it's an opinion, is that Door County pretty much rolls up the carpet and turns out the lights sometime in late October. The tourism is all but done when they have the Fall Fest in Sister Bay (Oct 17-19 this year). It is one of the biggest celebrations on the peninsula.

If I had to name a few must-see parks (IMHO) for a day of park-hopping and sight-seeing, they would be:

Ellison Bluff County Park

Peninsula State Park

Cave Point County Park

There is also a decent candy store in an old schoolhouse in Ellison Bay. Great brittle! Their web site is: http://www.uncletomscandies.com/

If you are into lighthouses, there are LOTS to see and photograph. Being from Florida, you have quite a few there that are excellent. I've been up in the St. Augustine lighthouse, and it was awesome. For a nice color webpage of some of the lighthouses and maybe some ideas, visit this webpage:

http://www.doorcounty.com/postcards/

You can even send yourself a postcard. :-)

That's all I can think of for now on Door County. I wish I could say more on Green Bay, but at that point of the year, it's all Packers. Yes, I would go on a stadium tour. I would visit the Atrium at Lambeau Field on an off-day, and even eat at Curly's Restaurant. I would also go by East High School and check out their football field. That is where the Pack played back in the early days. There are signs up telling the story. East High is on N. Baird Street next to the East River.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!