We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Door County - suggestions for a fall visit?

Chicago
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
New to Door County - suggestions for a fall visit?

I apologize for asking a general question that has probably been asked and answered a million times, but since I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for, here goes:

I'd like to take my husband for a "getaway" weekend in Door County the weekend of Oct. 10 for his 35th birthday. It will just be the two of us and our dog. I have never been there, so I have absolutely no idea where to stay (with a dog - no camping) and which town is the best. Here's what we like:

No big crowds

Lots of hiking/biking/fall scenery

Remote-type lodging - lake view, if possible

Fine-dining (no family-style)

I'm also wondering what the drive is like from the north side of Chicago - mapquest is saying almost 5 hours?

I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Door County - suggestions for a fall visit?

OK, here we go.....

First, use www.doorcounty.com and www.doorcountynavigator.com

Second, the weekend of Oct 10 is the largest festival of the year, it occurs in Egg Harbor. At this late date you will probably not find lodging, adding the dog and no camping to the mix will exponentially increase the difficulty of your task.

You will have to make some decisions. The entire peninsula will be busy. Remote lodging/lake view/ fine dining/dog friendly on the second busiest weekend of the year with a 12 day lead time will be nearly impossible.

How I would proceed...

Go to www.doorcounty.com "where to stay" go to pets allowed. Call all those people today and see if there are any openings. If all are full, dog stays home.

Next, forget lake view and focus on remote. Gils Rock, Washington Island, Ellison Bay, Rowley's Bay, Jacksonport will be less busy than Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, and Sister Bay. But, this gets you away from "fine dining". While there are good restaurants throughout the county they tend to be centered where the tourists are. Go to www.doorcounty.com and call places in those towns.

Depending on your definition of remote, I would try Washington Island, maybe get a cabin on the water that takes dogs. www.washingtonisland.com. "Fine dining" will be limited, would reccomend the Washington Island Hotel to satisfy that requirement.

Travel time...from my house in Egg Harbor to the Lake Forest oasis is 3:45 if you stick your foot in it a bit. Exiting at Manitowoc is more scenic, going through Green Bay is faster. From Egg Harbor to the Island ferry is 45 minutes, 30 minutes across if you don't have to wait for the next ferry.

Good luck! You will be spending a lot of time on the phone having innkeepers politely tell you they are full, and most likely Rover will have to stay home. Get on it right away! If the Island idea seems good to you call Carol at the Viking View Motel, she is the head of the Chamber and will be able to help

2. Re: New to Door County - suggestions for a fall visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 03:19