We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wisconsin for tourist

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Wisconsin for tourist

We are hosting a young professional woman from South America who has never been in the USA before and is coming here for a big family party in Chicago suburbs. She will spend time in the northern suburbs for the party weekend and Thanksgiving, will stay downtown for 4-5 days, and we thought we would also like to take her to see some sights outside of the Chicago area as well. We have a car and would like to show her what Wisconsin and/ or Indiana have to offer. Ideas PLEASE

I really need ideas and information PLEASE:

*A big designer discount shopping mall- names please????

*U Wisconsin in Madison- university and college town

*MIlwaukee- perhaps art museum- anything else?

*Something in Indiana????

My public library has lots of Chicago guide books but not one for Wisconsin or Indiana!!!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

The Prime Outlet mall in Pleasant Prairie, WI just across the Wisonsin, Illinois border has lots of designer outlet stores.

If you can get to Milwaukee Nov 21st to 23rd the Holiday folk fair is going on, see www.folkfair.org.

The Pabst Mansion in Milwaukee is nicely decorated at Christmas time and worth a visit. The lobby of the Pfister Hotel is always decorated in Victorian Christmas splendor too.

Lac du Flambeau...
Level Contributor
283 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

Milwaukee has a new art museum; in Indiana, you could drive over to the Amish area and do some shopping there as well.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

If you want to show her classic Americana, I'd bag the outlet malls. How about an old-fashioned Christmas parade or festival? Galena (a very historic village west of Chicago, www.galena.org) has one Nov. 28. In Milwaukee, there's Christmas in the Ward Dec. 5-6, www.historicthirdward.org. The art museum is stunning, www.mam.org.

There's an Old World Swiss area in Wisconsin just across the Illinois border. Monroe is the capital of cheese country and has a Christkindlmarkt Nov. 28-29 at Turner Hall, www.greencounty.org. New Glarus looks like a Swiss village and has St. Nicholas Day Dec. 6, www.swisstown.com.

But I think Madison would be a great place to take a young woman. It's such a classic college town, with so much energy, and there's terrific shopping/restaurants/galleries on State Street alone. Lots of events/concerts/plays going on at the Overture Center there, too. Check www.visitmadison.com.

Good luck! Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

Thanks for the recommendations. I like them all but unfortunately the dates don't work for us. We will be heading for Wisconsin on Monday, Nov. 24 and must be back in Chicago by Wed. Nov. 26 in time for family TG events. So, with only two days, Mon. and Tues., and with her expressed desire to shop while visiting, I think a few hours at ONE outlet mall will work and then on toward Milwaukee for Monday night. We can consider Tues. in Madison if there is time.

Any recommendations as to where to stay in Milwaukee area with easy or free parking, not too expensive, and a suburban area would work with a car???????

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

For economical hotels with free parking you might want to look in the airport area. I checked hotels.com for your nights and it looks like rates are cheap for your nights.

There are some old posts with info about airport area hotels, but some to choose from are Country Inn & Suites, Amerisuites, Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, Wyndham and there are many more. Econlodge nad Day's Inn are under $ 50.00 for your nights, if you are on a real tight budget. AND, ther are many other airport area hotels to choose from.

It is only about a 15 minute drive from the airport to downtown Milwaukee.

In my opinion moving on to Madison for your second night would require a lot of driving, but of course it could be done.

There are many museums and shopping in Milwaukee, so I think you could have a good time with two nights if you decide not to go on to Madison.

Since the University will be emptying out for Thanksgiving I am not sure how much of that vibe you will get in Madison on the 24th or 25th, although hotel rates will probably be lower.

State Street in Madison does have some interesting shops, but it is all outside, so if the weather does not cooperate, you will have that to deal with too.

6. Re: Wisconsin for tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 12:20