We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

My husband was sent out of town last night to work on the new visitors center at Wildcat Mountain State Park. He will be spending nights there as it is over 3 hours away. His lovely employer isn't paying for food or lodging so he is staying in a 2 person tent.

We have been wanting to visit the park but only as a day trip. Here is my question:

I babysit but will have Monday and Tuesday off next week. The kids and I were thinking of suprising him down there so we can visit the park at night after he gets off of work. This way the kids can see him as they haven't been able to see him much in the last couple of months.

I have tried looking into information about Ontario but can't seem to find anything. I understand they are a small town but does anyone have any information on the park (will it be worth the 6 hour trip with the kids) and about any local food and lodging. We will need to get a hotel as we only bought him a 2 person tent as we didn't want to pay a lot for a tent for work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited: 16 June 2010, 16:24
wis dells wi
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

check out the Wisconsin DNR site lots of info about the park. There are small motels a few restaurants and great paddling in the area and in Ontario. . I think it is definitely worth the drive. Amish places to visit near Cashton.

Racine, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

Wildcat Mtn is a great State Park. It is very beautiful. The kids will have a great time. There is a small hotel in town (don't know if it is still open). The Paddle Inn and Garden Cafe in town are reasonable but my suggestion would be to buy a cheap bigger tent or borrow a tent and camp out with your husband under the stars. We camped there when I was a child and we go there once a year now, my parents retired to the area. They live three miles from the park. You can also get a bite to eat at the bar in town. If anyone likes canoeing or kayaking you could enjoy a couple of hours on the Kickapoo River. There is plenty of hiking and my kids just loved exploring. They are 7, 11 and 13. I live three hours from there myself.

Racine, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

Paddle Inn and Garden Cafe are restaurants. The Pleasant Valley Log Cabins are not to far away www.plvc.com. The owner is very nice and I have rented them in the past. If you live nearby I am willing to borrow you a tent.

Racine, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

The name of the hotel in town is the Driftwood Inn and it is small but nice.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

Thanks for the information. My husband called last night and said the park is very nice. We get an annual state park sticker every year and spend Sunday's at different state parks. So our kids are used to it and love exploring as well.

I think we are postponing our trip down there. I wouldn'y want to haul our kayaks or canoe down there if we would only have 1-2 hours to explore. We are going to make it a Sunday trip so we won't have to go back down again. That way we have more time to explore the park.

Thanks for all the help!

6. Re: Wildcat Mountain State Park - Need Help Fast!!! please;)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:16