We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Weather?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
479 reviews
Save Topic
September Weather?

Hi

My husband and I are planning our summer vacation which will be mid to late September and we are thinking about Wisconsin or Missouri. We kind of know how Missouri weather is in september but have no idea of Wisconsin. I appreciate every year is different but wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea of what to expect. Being Scottish we are used to godawful miserable wet conditions all year round so we kind of hope for something better on our vacations :)

Thanks

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Weather?

September weather is generally great. Low humidity, temps in the 60's during the day, 40's at night, and not that rainy. However, once in a while you can also get: daytime temps in the 30's or 40's with snow showers, or daytime temps around 90, so come prepared either way. Nights are cool enough that you'll need a light or even medium jacket.

The very end of Sep/early Oct is beautiful in the northwoods with Fall color. In Southern Wisconsin you have to wait until mid-Oct for peak color, anhd it's not as wooded.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Weather?

Thanks for your very swift response! That helps a lot, I can live with the 60's although warmer is good too. I've requested the official Wisconsin travel planning guide so I'll have a look through that. It's likely to be South Wisconsin as that would let us also fit in a visit to John Deere in Waterloo or Davenport. I thought when hubby finally got to John Deere a few years back that would be it "ticked off" on his list but it's becoming an annual piligimage to fin a JD plant to visit so my compromise is to also find other places we haven't previously been to.

Thanks for your help.

Gill

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Weather?

September is really wonderful in Wisconsin. It''s funny as I often go to Scotland in September. ; ) As already pointed out, it can vary tremendously, but generally, it's fair weather with warm, but not hot temperatures. In the latter part of the month, up north, you can get chilly weather. But you also get beautiful fall colors. The North Woods with the lakes are beautiful.

Pam

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Weather?

I think September is one of the nicest months in southern Wisonsin--not very rainy, still warm enough to enjoy being outside.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Weather?

I agree with all of the other comments, September is a lovely month, in general. Chime back in to the forum as you're looking for things to do, and we can give you ideas! Oh, and I can give you some pointers on places to eat in the Quad Cities/Davenport if you head out that way, as it's where I went to college (or do Scots say university?).

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Weather?

I don't know your plans in southern WI for vacationing but some suggestions offhand: New Glarus (swiss dining and architecture, New Glarus Brewing atop the hill) ,Monroe (cheese) and Mount Horeb (trolls, Little Norway, great scenic area, Cave of the Mounds).

What are you looking to see and do in WI or hope to?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
195 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September Weather?

There are some wonderful places both in Missouri and in Wisconsin depending on when you plan to come and what you plan to do. Don’t know your time line (early or late Sept) or your travel preferences, but both have a completely different feel and options.

So you know…we do live in St. Louis, but we own a place also, ‘Up North’ in Wisconsin. We spend an inordinate amount of time up here, and make sure to check out the fall colors (usually late Sept. very early Oct) for a reason …

Missouri summers and very early fall can be exceptionally poor .. (Hot, Humid,) but can be just as beautiful .. depending on the day. After YEARS of Missouri experiences, we pretty much gave this up for the Wisconsin one. Overall, Fall (Sept) in Wisconsin, can’t be beat!!!~~!!

Can’t speak as to the southern portion of the state, but the Northern parts are just beautiful towards late Sept. with various local small town activities, abundant!

I might be able to help but know that I do have a WI Sept. preference!!!

Get Back!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Weather?

Thanks all.

We're just in the early stages of planning, no flights booked yet or anything concrete. We tend to look for state parks, outdoor activities and wide open spaces. We like both Nebraska and Iowa due to the scenery but also like to visit Kansas and Oklahoma for the heat so I guess the ideal would be best of both worlds.

My husband usually manages to find some sort of farm, construction or truck show where we are going (he's in that line of business) and he's at his happiest if he can get a factory tour. I'm reasonably easy to please as long as he is happy.

I'll probably be back with lots more questions but thanks for your input so far!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September Weather?

Nebraska and Iowa for scenery? I didn't know they had any... :)

Hopefully you'll be even more impressed by the Wisconsin forests, occasional rolling hills and the beautiful fall colors!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September Weather?

He might want to check out Harley Davidson in Milwaukee for tours.

Pam