We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginners white water rafting???

USA
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
beginners white water rafting???

Where is the best place for Beginners white water rafting? We are adults but have never been and the web sites I found all talk about the advanced runs....??? thanks!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beginners white water rafting???

Here is one that I am familiar with. http://wildwolfinn.com/raft.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beginners white water rafting???

We took a beginners group on the Wolf many years ago. It worked out, but if there is too much water, I think that Boy Scout ( that's the name I remember) rapids can be a bit scarey. It was a wonderful trip.

Pam

Watertown, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beginners white water rafting???

Check out a place on the Wolf river in the Menominee Indian Res. called Shotgun Eddies. If you go on a holiday weekend; forget it. It is Wisconsin's WORST kept secret for party animals. The week is ok, but if I were you I'd look at this:http://www.wolfriverrafting.com/

I've been to Eddies about 10 times, during drought and high water. there's a lot of quiet water and about 5 falls (the worst/best being the last 'Big Smokey Falls') and some rapids about half way down that can be pretty rough during high water. We went with large groups, none of us were experts and we had a blast each time. There's a place half way down where you can stop and buy a burger and a beer and they even have a DJ playing music!

You NEED a dry bag that is TIED to the raft. We used a Rubbermaid drink cooler (the kind that are sealed to keep liquid IN) to keep water out. And wear sandals that are velcroed on your feet, no flip flops/ bare feet. Sunblock too. I also wouldn't suggest bringing a camera, phone, wallet. Only bring ID, money (for burgers) and cigarettes and lighter, if you smoke.

Don't worry, it's really not that hard.-Enjoy!!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beginners white water rafting???

forget the wolf river....

if you're a beginner, the wolf would be great, but the outfitters on the wolf are substandard, IMO... they don't provide proper safety equipment, namely helmets... and, the few times i've gone with these outfitters (eddies and big smokey), they've neglected to give the rafters a safety briefing.... when the wolf is low, it is SLOW. while the quiet sections are very pretty, it makes for a VERY long trip, especially if the weather is cold and/or rainy.... also, as i recall there were no guides running with the group in case of an emergency....

better to do the peshtigo river, about 45 minutes east of the wolf... the outfitters, kosirs, wildmans and thortons run much tighter operations, plus the river itself is more exciting... the equipment is better and they provide all the necessary safety equipment... each outfitter has guides going along just in case... i've never gone with thortons, but wildmans and kosirs also have very nice campgrounds and things to do on site, especially wildmans.... i recall eddies as being a dump....

the wolf river is great if you're a more advanced paddler and run it in a canoe or kayak, OR, if the river is high and you run it in a raft....just don't hit your head.................

http://www.wildmanranch.com/

http://www.kosirs.com/

Edited: 07 April 2012, 06:30
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beginners white water rafting???

I've never worn a helmet rafting in Wisconsin or Colorado. Of course I don't go in the big boy white water, and I haven't been for probably 10 years. Is that something new?

When I rafted the Peshtigo there was just me and my son in a lonely stretch of river. I don't think we even saw anyone else. I liked it, but for someone who has never rafted I thought it might be better to be around more people. That's why I only mentioned the Wolf in my first post.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beginners white water rafting???

it's a good idea to wear one in whitewater... you never know... in quiet sections of rivers, it's not really necessary...

i don't know what section of the pesh you did, but the main "roaring rapids" section, where the outfitters run their trips, are always run with guides, and seldom is it lonely.... perhaps you did the quite tubing section from kosirs down to the flowage?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beginners white water rafting???

The original question asked about beginners rafting, so I mentioned an area I thought would be best for beginners. Then as a follow up to your response I mentioned that nobody was ever wearing helmets where I have rafted.

I've seen pictures of those sections of the Peshtigo that are rougher, so if the question was about the most challenging whitewater in Wisconsin I would have mentioned the Peshtigo. That's not what the question was, however.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beginners white water rafting???

i discouraged the wolf because the pesh offers a better experience. for a beginner, while the pesh might be more challenging, the better experience (and safety factor) outweighs anything the wolf has to offer....

Detroit
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beginners white water rafting???

Near the Michigan/Wisconsin border, it seems to me that even the Class IV rapids are no big deal compared with the rush of non-stop action in a place like West Virginia (New River Gorge) that I have visited. I took my 15-year old daughter on the Menominee River trip with Kosirs and she said, "that was it?" when it was over. Yeah.....a bit of a disappointment. In fact, they take down an extra boat just so you can enjoy the fun part a second time. It is A LOT of downtime with only a couple of "weee" moments. Save your money and make the trip elsewhere.

10. Re: beginners white water rafting???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:18