We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

We will be taking 2-3 days to drive across Wisconsin, starting on the west side at Interstate State Park and ending up eventually at Mackinac island. Traveling with 2 adults, 3 kids aged 12-22. I plan to rent some canoes or kayaks at Interstate Park and to do some hiking there. Any other ideas for activities along the way, as we drive through Barron, Ladysmith, Tomahawk, etc? Mini-golf? Short hikes? Museums?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g59753-d29… just outside Barron, WI

Rhinelander: Free, logging museum

rhinelander-resorts.com/loggingmus/logging.h…

and Joe's Pasty Shop:

http://www.ilovepasties.com/

there's a baked goods outlet when you come into town too and stop at the visitor center with the "hodag"

Ladysmith: wisconsinguides.net/northwest/train-excursio… Memorial Park on the Flambeau River is a nice stop to picnic and the kids might enjoy the park, even if they're on the older end (or bring frisbees, etc.).

Janesville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

A few ideas: Just south of 8, near Prentice, is Timm's Hill, which is the highest point in WI. There is a tower to climb and hiking. Also a few miles north of 8 on Hwy 13 in the Phillips is Wisconsin Concrete Park. It is really neat to see what one man created.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

oops, meant to say "in the town of Phillips". Sorry

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

That sounds great - thanks!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

I haven't checked the map but if you go as far as Laona there's the Camp Five Museum which is a nice two hour train ride/history museum stop.

http://www.camp5museum.org/

I second the Concrete Park, I thought of it but it not being directly on Hwy. 8 I passed over it. But really it's not far out of the way and really neat and ecletic.

6. Re: Driving across Wisconsin on 8 - things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:41