We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique Local Restaurants

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Unique Local Restaurants

We are driving across WIsconsin twice in the next couple of weeks. From Dubuque, IA to Marinette, WI, and the return.

We really will not have time for sight seeing, but I would love to check out some unique locally owned restaurants. All cuisines, all price levels.

Thanks for your suggestions!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

I recognize you from the Mackinac Island Forums, hello lighthouselover. Do you have a particular route in mind, direct or off the beaten path? From the suggested Mapquest route I've come up with the following in the neighborhood of that driving route.

Quivey's Grove: http://www.quiveysgrove.com/

www.madisonoriginals.com/restaurant/?id=26

If you hit New Glarus off the beaten path try:

New Glarus Hotel Restaurant, Chalet Landhaus Restaurant, etc. The swiss dining here is fabulous. Check www.swisstown.com for more info.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60135-d57…

http://www.newglarushotel.com/

www.chaletlandhaus.com/restaurant.shtml

Edited: 12 June 2012, 20:17
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

Hey Lighthouse, welcome! I saw the screen name but wasn't sure it was you until I saw the picture. Gee, I hope WI does have some unique foods like MI with its pasties and Trenary toast. I've got to think about that. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the restaurants in that area. Are you going through Green Bay, Appleton and Madison?

As far as specific foods, make sure you have some fresh cheese curds (preferably at a local cheese store). Fish fries are big, usually on Fridays--you could try a local VFW hall for those. Hmm, I'll put on my thinking cap. If you were in the Kohler/Sheboygan area, Whistling Straits has a beautiful dining room and features local foods, but I think you'll be much further west than that. They'd be known for their brats, but you could find those in many diners along the way.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

I forgot to add supper clubs are very much a part of WI and may be worth your while too, there's several in the Madison area:

http://www.supperclubmovie.com/

there's some supper club's in the Madison area:

tobyssupperclub.com/Tobys_Supper_Club/Home.h… here's one there are several more around the area as well if you google it and check on TA for the best ones

Edited: 12 June 2012, 22:50
Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

Frozen_Tundra_Gal, I thought you might show up! Yes, it is I:-) The photo is actually of Wisconsin - the launch of the Mackinaw at Marinette.

My route will be US151 and US41, passing through or near Madison, Beaver Dam, Appleton and Green Bay.

The last time I was in Green Bay, I visited the now 99 year old Chili John's. It was good, but expensive for chili.

New Glarus is a little farther out of my way than I will go this time, but the Madison Originals web site looks like a great source. Last time I was in Madison, I did the New Orleans Take-Out restaurant, which really was very good.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

In Madison, the locals love Ian's pizza, by the slice. I'm a traditionalist for pizza, cheese, sausage and mushroom and there's is more eclectic. It's worth a try and you'd get to see a bit of Madison too. For Green Bay, there are places the locals swear by such as Kroll's or you could eat at Lambeau at one of their several restaurants.

Glad I looked it up, I'll be there in a few weeks for my PACKER SHAREHOLDER MEETING, gee, did I slip that in??? I found one that we were at years ago and really enjoyed, Z Harvest but forgot about.

OK, buddy, you asked about Unique LOCAL restaurants and you at in the Cheese/Brat Capitol of the world and had New Orleans Cajun?? What, did you get lost and ended up at the Mississippi instead of Lake Mendota?

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

By local, I mean locally owned:-)

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

The most recent reviews of Kroll's on Google seem to think that the service is really terrible?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

I've never been there. When posters ask in the GB forum for places to eat at when they go to Packer Games, it seems to come up regularly. Hey, I never said it was terrific, I just said the locals eat there!

Seriously, when we were in Destin Florida last month, we at at a local favorites and we felt it was only a step above a Denny's. But there weren't many of that type of restaurant n Destin, so I guess the residents liked it because of that.

We also try and avoid chain restaurants when we can, so I know what you're asking for.

Owensville, Missouri
Level Contributor
1 post
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

My favorite place to eat when visiting Madison is Monty's Blue Plate Diner. Great fresh food w/ local ingredients. http://www.montysblueplatediner.com/

I've lived in Green Bay for years and have yet to find any place unique and fantastic.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique Local Restaurants

The Old Fashioned restaurant on the square downtown Madison is pretty cool. It was featured on the Food Channel. If you go on a Saturday morning, you can wander around the biggest vendor grown farmers market (I am a vendor), in the US. Thousands come, it's quite the tourist attraction. Brochach's on the square is an irish themed restaurant and some days they have the bagpipe players out front.