We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

Loves Park, Illinois
8 posts
Save Topic
Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

I need suggestions about towns we could go and swim in Lake Michigan, have a few cocktails and maybe stay the night.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

How far north are you willing to go? Racine has a nice beach, and the downtown area is nearby, with plenty of restaurants and the Radisson Hotel (basically your only option for lodging, though, I think...).

Otherwise, Milwaukee has Bradford Beach, from which you could walk to a bunch of restaurants - and hotels, depending on your walking capabilities (or just take a cab).

If you're willing to go farther north, I would recommend Sheboygan, and you could stay at the Blue Harbor Resort (right on the lake), or swim at the municipal beach and stay at one of the B&Bs or motels in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Racine
Racine
Wisconsin
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Bradford Beach
Bradford Beach
159 Reviews
Milwaukee, WI
Sheboygan
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
Blue Harbor Resort
Blue Harbor Resort
1,014 Reviews
Sheboygan, WI
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

There are state parks such as Kohler Andrae or Harrington Beach are only 15-30 minutes from Sheboygan or Port Washington. Do you want rural or city? Do you want to stay on the lake or nearby? You could also go up to Door County or stay in a number of places along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Kohler
Kohler
Wisconsin
Sheboygan
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Loves Park, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

I'm thinkin' Racine is about as far as we'd like to go. I'm looking to do a day trip from Rockford, IL only staying the night if we have too much "fun".

Thanks for the info on Sheboygan, I'll look into that for a weekend trip.

Mentioned in this post
Racine
Racine
Wisconsin
Rockford
Rockford
Illinois
Sheboygan
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

From Rockford it's probably easier to get to Milwaukee than Racine. I-43 goes right into Milwaukee and to get to Racine you would have to go off the Interstate. It might be more scenic, but would definitely slow you down for a day trip.

Also Lake Michigan is not known for swimming. Have you thought about an inland lake like Lake Geneva?

Edited: 17 July 2012, 20:30
Mentioned in this post
Rockford
Rockford
Illinois
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Racine
Racine
Wisconsin
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

I agree with przyk regarding driving from Rockford to Racine. There's not really a direct route, and some of those country roads can go pretty slow if you get stuck behind someone who's taking a "Sunday drive."

Lake Geneva is a good suggestion - very comfortable (warm) lake for swimming, and plenty of places to eat/drink. Just watch your hotels, though, because a lot of them have 2-night minimum stays during the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Rockford
Rockford
Illinois
Racine
Racine
Wisconsin
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
Loves Park, Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

Yes, but I'm missing the ocean in this heat!! I don't want to go far out in it just up to my waist.

I'm thinking your right about Milwaukee though.

Have you been to Lake Koshkonong (sp?) recently?

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

Or what about Madison? I've visited a number of times, but have not used their beaches. Haven't been to Lake Koshkonong and unfortunately the Fort Atkinson forum isn't active. Lake Geneva is a really good suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

Lake Koshkonong might have some beach areas, but I think of it more as a boating lake.

9. Re: Stay and play on Lake Michigan in S. WI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 06:17