We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend getaway suggestions for October

Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend getaway suggestions for October

Any suggestions for a relaxing weekend get away for a couple in their 30's in October on a budget? Looking for a nice place to stay where we can relax and maybe do a little hiking or biking. It's for an anniversary trip. Would prefer to not be in a big city and focusing on south of highway 29. Would appreciate any suggestions!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

If you went a little north of Hwy 29 you could be in Door County!

www.doorcounty.com

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

If you want biking I suggest Mauston or Tomah, north of the Dells. There are many great bike trails including the Elroy Sparta and I think October is cranberry harvesting time.

The Horicon Marsh area would be another possibility, either Horicon, Mayville or Waupun. Then there's the western part of the state, Mineral Point, New Glarus, Monroe, etc.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

New Glarus and the surrounding communities would be perfect with the perfect mix of scenic beauty, tons of bike trails, great dining, and a nice quiet un city atmosphere. www.swisstown.com (Mount Horeb and Monroe are great nearby communities worth checking out too). For sights there's Cave of the Mounds and New Glarus Brewery and more.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

I agree with hatchpal, New Glarus & the SW part of WI would be great that time of year.

Seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

Check out mineralpoint.com

For you I'd recommend any of these:

Cothren Cabin

Mineral Point Hotel

Brewery Creek Inn

All are exceptional & it is truly a beautiful town for walking. Has a couple of good restaurants as well. Biking/ATV trail through town. Be sure to check out Brewery Creek Pottery on the outskirts of town. I've spent months in this town for business and love it.

6. Re: Weekend getaway suggestions for October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:15