We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peaceful state park for tent camping in September

North, South...
Level Contributor
491 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
peaceful state park for tent camping in September

We will be driving from Minnesota to Tennessee and want to do some tent camping along the way. Peaceful, quiet campgrounds with natural beauty is our favorite. We will be traveling in early September and will have a dog. Would love some suggestions of where to spend some time to hike and explore.

Will we need reservations this time of the year?

Thank you

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Here is a link to the Wis State Park website. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/findapark.html

It looks like Wildcat Mountain, Buckhorn and Roche a Cri are some that would be convenient to the Interstate. Further south New Glarus Woods would be good, but it is a little further off the beaten path.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

are you willing to take a diversion? and where in minn are you starting from?

if you got the time and it's not too far out of your way, i strongly suggest considering diverting to upper michigan, namely porcupine mts state park along lake superior... it is one of the most scenic parks in all of the midwest....

if you're just running along the I-90 or 94 corridors, i suggest devil's lake state park near wisconsin dells...one of the most scenic areas in southern wisc.... it will likely be crowded on the weekends, but if you hit it during the week, it should be ok......

if you pass thru illinois and plan to bypass chicago via I-39/US-51, i suggest hitting starved rock state park...again, during the week as it will be much less crowded.... if you're heading to western TN, i suggest passing thru southern illinois and checking out giant city state park and/or the shawnee national forest...

if you plan to go thru chicago, i suggest indiana dunes state park, near I-80 and near chesterton, indiana.... if you continue south on I-65, i suggest brown county state park, just south of indy...

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
618 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Hartmann Creek State Park in Waupaca is a 270 acre park with camping, swim lake, fishing. It is only a short diversion from the interstate eastward.

North, South...
Level Contributor
491 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Thank you for your suggestions. We are on a roadtrip starting in NC and making a big circle, we have three weeks.. We will head up the UP of Michigan, across to Minnesota and returning home through St Louis and southern Illinois, TN .

We want to visit Natural and Historical places. We will be tent camping looking for quiet places. We love to hike and will have our dog with us. Our route is not set, just some highlights are picked out. Would appreciate any help filling in the blanks for great places to camp or stop and see along the route.

We hope that early September will be less crowded as we do not want to make reservations.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

I'm not sure about the state parks towards the middle of the state, but I know the ones on the east side of the state were WAY full every weekend in the beginning of September. The weather is usually absolutely perfect for camping, so I would make reservations somewhere just in case. Or... call the places ahead of time, because I know some places specifically save campsites as non-reservable for walk-ins.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Roche a Cri is a really nice, small park that has very nice sites for tenting camping, that's not too much of a detour if you're coming down I-94.

The Whitewater Campground of the Kettle Moraine State Forest is also another good one for tent camping that stays quiet, and many people barely seem to know about, especially compared to the very popular other two campgrounds at KM South. There's not a lot of hiking at the Whitewater campground, but you've got easy access to the rest of the State Forest with lots of hiking, and Old World Wisconsin is a great historical stop that's about a 20 minute drive away.

Both of those are mostly basic sites, with only a couple having hook-ups, and they rarely fill-up, even in the summer.

I will say that I've tent camped in a ton of state parks all over Wisconsin, and I've yet to find a bad one. Even the ones with hook-ups are still typically pretty good for tent camping, and unlike some states, you really never see parks where tents are expected to set up in an open field. The biggest problem is that WI state parks are very popular, and it can be tough to find a site on the weekends.

You might also check out the book series "Best in Tent Camping" which has an edition for Wisconsin, as well as many other states you'll be visiting.

Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Another consideration if you are driving through the northern tier of WI between the UP and Minnesota is to check out either National Forest Campgrounds (the Chequamegon & Nicolet National Forests are the ones you will find in WI) or the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Bayfield County, administered by the National Park Service (mostly on the islands themselves, but there might be a mainland campground as well). Additionally, if you take the ferry from Bayfield to Madeline Island (the only island not part of the national lakeshore), you can camp at Big Bay State Park (Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources). Another nice state park nearby is Amnicon Falls, right along U.S. 2 between Iron River, WI and Superior (the city). If you are driving along the Great River Road down to St. Louis, you might look into Wyalusing State Park (in WI) south of Prairie du Chien, WI. It's located at the confluence of the Wisconsin & Mississippi Rivers with superb views from the bluffs of the warren of islands and backwater channels at the junction of these two great waterways. Sounds like a fun trip, have a good time!

Racine WI
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

Booking any campground for a weekend is difficult, if you want a nice site, so book as soon as you can if you need weekend dates. If you can travel during the week, your options will be much better.

I would hit Devil's Lake - it is a beautiful park. In September it should be a bit quieter than the summer months - the beach is very nice which draws crowds. We like site #240.

If flush bathrooms are important to you, I believe Hartmann Creek, Wild Cat and Roche Crie are all without.

Wyalusing is another favorite for me, only if you can get on the upper ridge. Odd # sites around 127 - 143 offer nice views over the bluff. Any tent sites in this are are small but can be very secluded.

9. Re: peaceful state park for tent camping in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:16