We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a city experience in Madison or Milwaukee

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a city experience in Madison or Milwaukee

I am travelling to Wisconsin from Vancouver, Canada for 2 weeks in July.

I am staying in Appleton with a friend but I would like to spend 2 days in the city.

What are you recommendations in terms of hotels and things to do for two 20 year old city gals? I would love to be as central in the city as I possibly can. I am looking at a $100-200 nightly budget, but a good deal is always appreciated.

Would you recommend staying in madison or milwaukee? Any good shopping centers/strips?

I look forward to your replies, thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Appleton
Appleton
Wisconsin
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a city experience in Madison or Milwaukee

Hey TamalePepper,

I'm a 20 year old from Vancouver and have been living in Madison for 3 years so I thought I could answer your question, given we come from a similar background.

I think Madison would be a better place to stay. It's a college town so there's more things to do, shopping, people your age around, night life... I've only been to Milwaukee a handful of times and it has a more industrial feel and they have less attractions. A good, modern and relatively new hotel in Madison is Hyatt Place. It's blocks from the State Capitol building and is in downtown Madison. It's close to State Street which is great for shopping, eating, and has a lot of bars. Another good shopping area is West Towne Mall (which you need a car or bus to get to). It has all your big, chain stores like Forever21, H&M, Victoria's Secret, etc. Hilldale mall is closer but doesn't really have much other than a Target. If you're looking for more boutique shops, Monroe Street by Camp Randall has a few interesting stores.

Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
State Street & Downtown Madison
State Street & Downtown...
777 Reviews
Madison, WI
West Towne Mall
West Towne Mall
30 Reviews
Madison, WI
Monroe
Monroe
Wisconsin
Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a city experience in Madison or Milwaukee

Hi Vanessa,

Your expertise is definitely helps alot because we do come from a similar background.

Btw, I am a big fan of the Hyatt. I love their modern feel and spacious rooms, so good recommendation!

I really appreciate your advice, thank you!

3. Re: Looking for a city experience in Madison or Milwaukee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 05:18