We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo ID

chicago
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Photo ID

Didn't know where to post this since this subject has never come up in our travels before. While attempting to reserve a cottage near Elkhorn WI the site directed us to a site managed by AIRBND. They not only asked us to state the purpose of our travel but also required us to post photos of ourselves before the company and I'm assuming the owner of the property can determine whether we can rent the cottage. I find this rather intrusive and a highly unusual and thus far have refused to complete the registration information. I have asked the management of ARMBAND why they require a photo and their response was that it was for the safety of the property owner and the community. Has anyone ever been requested to provide a photo of yourself in order to rent a room or house and has anyone heard of or used AIRBND? Thanks.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
195 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo ID

NO and "I" wouldn't provide this information either!! and if your gut says "no good" then it probably is in your best interest to look elsewhere. Never heard of the company or the concept. It MIGHT be sound but I know that there are other "fish in the sea".

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo ID

If you are talking about airbnb it is a reputable business. https://www.airbnb.com/

I've never used them. You might look at the website for an explanation of requiring a photo. It could have something to do with the fact that you are often dealing with an individual who is renting space in their house as opposed to commercial property.

I'm trying to figure out the security risk of posting photos. If anyone wants to use the internet to obtain photos all they have to do is go to facebook. Millions of people have pictures posted on facebook.

You refer to AIRBND and ARMBAND in your post, so maybe you are dealing with someone other than airbnb, idk.

chicago
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo ID

Thanks przyk and i indeed was referring to airbnd, sorry for the confusion. They have answered my questioning e-mails but haven't stated why they require a photo to see what I look like, only that it's for the safety of the host and the community. Guess call me old fashioned or just plain old but I don't have photo posted on Face-book either. You are correct in assuming that it's a private home we had inquired about. Think i will just look elsewhere.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,482 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo ID

Haven't used Airbnb but it's been a topic on a number of forums. The company basically offers people with extra space in their home or an apartment to rent it to travelers. Given that that space is often literally shared home space, I'm not surprised that they have such a protocol. I think a bigger question for you to answer is if you want to have a bed in someone's home or you want a private room? While I think the concept of Airbnb is fantastic, personally, it's not for me. As an alternative, maybe try FlipKey, VRBO, etc. which are more traditional rental sites.

Good luck.

5. Re: Photo ID

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:18