We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from door county

midwest
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Live from door county

Sitting here drinking a cup of Door County coffee, just in from a short walk enjoying this glorious day. Arrived yesterday morning after a nice drive from the northern suburbs of Chicago. We like to drive along lake Michigan when coming to Door County, but this time our GPS took us a different route which was fine, we can take our usual scenic route on the way home.

Our usual stops on the way up include Cafe Tlazo (thanks to FTG for introducing this amazing cafe to us!) and Renards for cheese, both located in Algoma. We missed Renards but we'll hit it on our way home. Cafe Tlazo was crowded and tasty- but we got in just before the line became long. I spotted the last cinnamon roll and had it boxed to go, knowing that what you see is what you get. I am munching on it

right now for breakfast, its plenty big enough for sharing. Hubby got a orange cranberry scone to go but we ended up eating it while we

waited for our breakfast. We had breakfast sandwiches and our daughter had a breakfast paninni, all delicious. I need to write a review on

this place as I told the owner that I would last time we were there. :)

Stopped to take a few photos as the leaves are at different points of change depending on where you are. Very few are past their peak from what I've seen so far.

Checked in at our home for the next four days at Rowley's Bay Resort in Ellison Bay. We come up to D.C. Two times a year now and stay at all types of places from private cottages to condos to B&B's. This place is a first for us. More on Rowley's Bay later.

Last night we were all in the mood for a fish fry and I remembered the thread recently on fish fries. Although I don't remember anyone mentioning the Gibraltor Grill, we decided to finally try this place. We definitely will go back! It was such a beautiful evening that we decided to eat out on the patio after enjoying drinks at the bar chatting it up with the friendly bartender. Our waiter Mike was the perfect waiter. Came around at just the right times and was friendly prompt with service. We started with a sampler platter of spinach artichoke dip, bruschetta and guac served with soft pita points. Yum. My adult daughter and I shared the walleye sandwich with the best sweet potato fries I've ever tasted. Thick wedges of non greasy goodness. The sandwich was very good and plenty for sharing. Husband had the walleye with coleslaw and regular french fries. The fish was breaded, fresh, and non greasy as well. Husband had more tha enough and actually had a full piece left. Afterwards went to fish creek to walk off our dinner. Most shops were closed or closing which was fine because all we wanted to do was walk a little.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,797 Reviews
Illinois
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Algoma
Algoma
Wisconsin
Ellison Bay
Ellison Bay
Door County, WI
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from door county

Nice trip report . . . thanks for sharing your update "live" from Door County.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from door county

sounds like a delicious time and some good stops along the way.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from door county

Glad the GG worked for you. We haven't been there in years, that time it was fine, but crowded and mainly burgers.

You're KILLING me with that cinnamon roll!! Our timing was off, so no matter how I tried, I couldn't stop in on this trip, just the one in July. However, I did find that Lautenbach's Country Winery and Orchard had very good cinnamon rolls. (Side note on their wine--hubby said he didn't care for it, had a bitter note to it. I read the label, it was an Apple/Cranberry wine!! Gee, where do you think that bitter note came from!! Next time he'll read the label more carefully.) Surprisingly, despite Door County Bakery's other very good treats, their cinnamon roll and pecan roll were only so-so. Rowleys Bay/Grandma's has very good bakery, ran out of time for it. Have one for me please.

Yes, nice report, I still have to do mine.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Rowleys Bay Resort
Rowleys Bay Resort
151 Reviews
Ellison Bay, WI
Gurnee, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from door county

Thanks, Hatchpal! I agree.

FTG, sorry you missed your cafe stop. It's something I look forward to now to break up the drive. Now that I've tasted their rolls, no other can compare. I like that they are non gummy ( the roll part) and lots of thick icing. Rowley's Bakery is awesome! Bought 2 pecan rolls the day we rolled in (pun intended since we are on the subject) which was also part of our breakfast yesterday. Between 3 people we STILL have one left! We had rolls, coffee and fresh fruit from home which more than satisfied us.

Continuing trip report:

After breakfast yesterday, we headed to Egg Harbor to check out the Pumpkin Patch Festival. Wow, has it grown! We had only been up here for the P.P. fest one other time which was many, many years ago. Since then it has become so popular that the street is blocked off. I don't remember street being closed years ago.

Parking...We finally found parking a good distance away. Walked around stopping to check out booths until it started to rain, then headed out! I wasn't thrilled with the very crowded festival but that's me. (:

Mentioned in this post
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor
Door County, WI
5. Re: Live from door county

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18