We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderful fall trip

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Wonderful fall trip

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to everyone who posted info about fall colors on this forum. I had a wonderful trip which I won't go into great detail here (you can read my reviews to get an idea of where I went). The Wisconsin website that gives updates on the color changes was immensely helpful - www.travelwisconsin.com/fall-color-report - and is one of the reasons that I spent so much time in Wisconsin even though I flew into Minnesota. I never made to the Dells - but the Hayward area in the fall is not to be missed, imho. I went east, west, north and south from there in fog, rain, and sunshine and it was all gorgeous.

I saw plenty of dairy cows, deer, and turkeys but once again never saw the moose that I so yearn to see. The county I live in is supposed to have around 300 of them and darned if I can even find one! My friends tease me with magnets of moose, etc. Oh, well.

Biggest challenge of the trip was finding something to eat without cheese (I don't eat cheese - a real shock to WI cooks, it seems). But I did find lots of great folks and would recommend a WI trip to others.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Aw come ON Susie, I LOVE reading TR's. Especially when I've been able to (hopefully) give some good advice.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderful fall trip

at least post a coupla links to your reviews!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Do we even have moose in Wisconsin?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonderful fall trip

i dunno about wisc, but definitely they have them in the yoop.... and wisc definitely have elk---i've seen them up near clam lake.....

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Maybe that's why I wasn't having any moose sightings. Although I was in MN also.

Ok, for those of you who asked for details, I'll give it my best shot. The problem is that I pretty much said, "Oh, wow, look at those leaves." And took off that way. And as many of your county roads are paved, which they are not here in CO, I just wandered around from point to point hoping to find food, bathrooms and hotels in a timely manner. My hotel and restaurant reviews can be seen at www.tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/SusieLou along with some attraction reviews.

The farthest north I went was Superior, which required me to enter over a bridge over more water than I was used to driving over (I live in a very dry area). It was pretty dreary, rainy and a lot of the streets were under construction so I didn't spend more than one night there and then moved on south. Did Pattison State Park the next day, loved the waterfall. Headed south and at Minong when I stopped at a convenience store I got great advice when the clerk said to go east on Hwy 77 to Hayward. As I mentioned, that was a great area for fall color and the Comfort Suites there was my favorite hotel - absolutely gorgeous. I must have driven every road in that area coming and going and then headed east to the Lac du Flambeau Indian Reservation and areas around there. Then south to Rhinelander, and Tomahawk, which is a lovely town. South to Merrill, Wausau and Rib Mtn. State Park. Then back NW to Medford, Ladysmith, Rice Lake. Somehow got down to Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire, then west to Minneapolis. Did part of the Scenic St. Croix Riverway drive and ended up in St. Croix, which was fun because it was homecoming and so I got to watch their two or three block homecoming parade. We don't have homecoming parades where I live so that was fun. The FFA kids passed out cheese sticks, which I thought was quite clever. I also did Interstate Park there, a huge park with lots of good hikes.

I know this isn't a very exciting trip report, but for me it was a great trip. Beautiful color, and a wonderful relaxing time table. Probably won't get a repeat but have plenty of good memories to carry with me.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Should have said I loved the waterfalls at Pattison State Park. The entrance fees for state parks seemed odd. Buying one for one hour? And a different fee for in-state license plates or out-of-state license plates when so many tourists may be in rental cars made no sense to me. Why not go by driver's licenses instead if the intent is to give a break to the locals. In CO the fee varies by park (admittedly some parks offer more than others) and the fee is the same for out-of-state or in-state people. Also, you can only get one day or a season pass - no by the hour passes here. But I guess if all you want to do is drive through a park an hour is enough time to do that.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Comfort Suites in Hayward is definitely a memorable stay we have been there as well. Hayward is a neat area to explore. If you ever get this way again consider Bayfield and the Apostle Islands, a true treat. Door County if you can is another so much to see and do in both places and enjoy the outdoors a lot, too. Lake Geneva and New Glarus/Mount Horeb/Monroe are great areas as well....then there's the River Road. Cedarburg, Port Washington and Kohler are all neat to explore as well. For big cities Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay are very interesting as well. WI really is a beautiful place we never tire of exploring. You did a lot and hit a lot of neat areas in WI SusieLou, thanks for sharing your wonderful trip report. Other waterfalls up north that are enjoyable are Copper Falls and Amnicon Falls. I have not made it yet to Pattison but hope to do so when we get back to the Duluth, MN area again.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 17:56
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wonderful fall trip

The one-hour pass is not sold at all parks. It's offered at those parks that have an attraction that can be visited quickly. For example, it is sold at Peninsula State Park, where many people only stop to climb the observation tower.

Technically, you don't have to pay to drive into a Wisconsin State Park. You can drive thru without stopping (except, or course, for stop signs.) However, you need a sticker if stop for any amount of time-even to pull over to admire a view, or to use the restroom.

In Wisconsin, many more people drive their own cars than fly and rent. Hordes of us from Ilinois visit Wisconsin. Different stickers based on license plates allow rangers to easily enforce the rules. I think there are very few, if any, Wisconsin residents who would rent a car in Wisconsin that does not have Wisconsin plates. And, giving lower prices to cars with Wisconsin plates mean giving breaks to people who paid for Wisconsin plates-not, for example, for a snowbird who plates their car in Florida but still might have a Wisconsin drivers license.

The sticker rules and procedures are impressively thorough. They state that you have to affix the sticker with its own adhesive, which means you can't use a product that allows you to move the sticker from car to car. When you by an annual sticker, the clerk peels part of it off to encourage you to put it right on your windshield and not let you take it back to your room and put on a removable product. If you complain that you use the removable product to make it easier to remove the sticker at the end of the year, they will loan you solvent and razor blades to remove the old sticker.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wonderful fall trip

We have moose for sure. There was one in Rhinelander last week.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wonderful fall trip

Rhinelander has a wonderful logging museum and Joe's pasty shop, now moose too, that would be a neat find to see.

an article about moose in the state from 2011 www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/131331814.html

Edited: 22 October 2013, 00:51