We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

My sweetie and I are taking a cross-country road trip next August and we'd like to stay in hotels or motels that have that real vintage vibe. We don't have the trip mapped out yet so all towns will be considered.

I love the Safari Inn, in Burbank California. Sweet Motel with pool and vintage neon but modern facilities.

Unfortunately many older places are torn down or run down. If you know of any diamonds in the rough we’d love to hear about it.

If you have a recommendation of someplace unusual, that works too.

Thanks for any help!

Level Contributor
480 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

One place that comes to mind is the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, WI. Dodgeville is about 45 mins west of Madison. You can look them up on google. The last time I was there, I felt like I was stuck in a time warp. See for yourself.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

I highly recommend the Holiday Motel in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Technically, Sturgeon Bay is in Door County, but it has a much more down-to-earth feeling. The Holiday Motel is 50's/60's ish, but not in a faux way--it's the real deal and has been maintained nicely. It's worth staying there just to see the chrome-and-vinyl dinette room where they serve your continental breakfast. Nice people own it too, and the rates are good--I think about $55 or $60 for a double room when we were there in October 2005. The motel is smack in the middle of downtown, so you can walk to the pier and look at fishing boats, walk to the historic district, walk to dinner, etc. If you're bicycling, it's only a few blocks to the Ahnapee State Trail. To complete the retro experience, walk across the bridge and have dinner at Andre's Supper Club, which is basically a large room with lots of tables and an upright piano. The waitresses have worked there since the beginning of time. Order the fish fry. To blend in with the locals, say "Go Packers" periodically.

south dakota
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

Ah yes, the Don Q Inn..I once worked in the lounge there. Hwy 23 (a great route for fall colors) passes right by it. You'll see a huge old 747 airplane sitting in front of the parking lot, that you can actually go in to. It was signed by Farah Fawcett. The Lobby has a really neat huge fireplace surrouned by antique barber chairs to sit in. It's an old barn like building with bright red carpeted hallways. Last time I was there, the pool was nice. There are like 23 Theme rooms(fron kinky to tropical) as well as standard. You can also go from the hotel to the lounge /restraunt via an underground tunnel. It's like a huge 100 yard cave with strange things built into the walls. It has smooth sidewalks and good lighting..and good memories..mmm. It was really a hoppin place in the 70's from what Ive heard living in the area most of my life. It is a little run down, but it's uniqueness makes up for it. Staff have always had the reputaion of being very laid back, and personable. I have seen many guests in all states come through the lobby, and even sleep in the barber chairs after a late night in the lounge-oops! Oh did I mention the bar is made of old copper cheese vats hammered in to a bar top? Food was usually good too. Full menu. Dodgeville Wi is only 20 min from Taliesin, the House on the Rock, the Wi River, and many other neat little towns with cool shops to spend an afternoon in.

4. Re: Looking for Classic Neon Motel/Hotels or unusual stay-over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 15:17