We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

Hello all!

Here is our tentative plan for our Summer Vacation:

August 23- fly into Jackson (arrive 11:45am)

Check out Jackson, have lunch @ Bubbas.

Check into Jackson Lake Lodge.

August 24th- Jenny Lake ferry to Inspiration Point & Hidden Falls. 4:00pm Dinner White Water Raft with JHWW.

August 25th- ??? Any Ideas ???

August 26th - move to Old Faithful Snow Lodge for 5 nights (departing on August 31st). We have no definite plans for Yellowstone except see as much as possible and hike as much as we can. :)

So... any ideas on what to do on August 25th? We'll still be at Jackson Lake Lodge that night.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Karen

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

here are some thoughts...

if it were me i would probably spend my next to last night over in cody so i could see the rodeo/museum & then my last night in jackson. that would still give you plenty of time inside the parks. i just think cody & jackson are such unique towns that a night in both is warranted.

you will have plenty of time to do the figure 8 if you want to cover the entire loop. i prefer hiking around the canyon & lake areas but here is a link to several.

http://www.yellowstone.net/hiking.htm

after you have done the parks from the 23rd-28th i would probably ride out the northeast entrance & make the drive to cody on the chief joseph hwy. gorgeous drive & you might even consider driving up to the beartooth pass, then backtracking to the chief joseph hwy toward cody. you could come back the next day through the east entrance & on down to jackson. it's about a 4 hour drive from cody to jackson with frequent stops to sightsee.

as for hiking, the inspiration point/hidden falls hike is great but short (if you take the boat ride). if you want a longer hike continue up cascade canyon for as long as you want to go. most of the time you will see two moose that i always see in the stream that runs down the canyon.

you will want to do the hikes in the canyon area that allow you to see both upper & lower falls. these are a must.

one other hike that we love in the tetons, not too far from jackson lake lodge is phelps lake. it's on the dirt road from moose junction to teton village. it's about a 3-5 mile hike depending on if you want to go down to the lake (which i would highly recommend).

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

Make sure you get down to Oxbow Bend. It isn't far from JLL. Very pretty with the reflections in the water. Early morning and/or evening would be best.

Drive down to Mormon Row. Very pretty down there too with the old barns. Excellent changes for pictures. Its about a mile north of the airport.

In the evening, join the others looking through scopes from the back of the lodge.

Pictures, trip reports and some planning information on our website. They might help you see some of the things you should check out in Yellowstone. Also pictures of the things I mentioned in GTNP.

We'll be at JLL for a couple of nights in June.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Yellowstone link is to the left.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

There is a great hike in GT called Two Oceans Lake. Its gorgeous and an easy hike. We went last summer and ran into 2 moose. Its pretty rare to see other hikers so your chance of seeing wildlife is really good.

4. Re: Grand Tetons - 2 full days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:17