We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

We'll be driving from Cheyenne after taking in the rodeo for a couple of days over to Jackson for hiking, etc. I was wondering what were the directions for the:

1) fastest way (in case we leave Cheyenne late)

2) most scenic (should we have some extra time)

We'll be returning via Cody a few days later and I saw a nice posting on the scenic drive for that section.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

Mapquest shows the fastest way from Cheyenne to Jackson to be I-80 west to Green River then north on 191 through Pinedale to Jackson. It puts the mileage/time at 434 miles and 7 1/2 hours. A more scenic route would be to take Highway 210 from Cheyenne to Laramie, going through Curt Gowdy State Park. At Laramie, take Highway 130 through Centennial and the Medicine Bow National Forest. This road connects back up to I-80 east of Rawlins. From there continue on I-80 to Greenriver and north on 191 through Pinedale. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Curt Gowdy State Park
Curt Gowdy State Park
170 Reviews
Cheyenne, WY
Medicine Bow National Forest
Medicine Bow National...
262 Reviews
Laramie, WY
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Green River
Green River
Sweetwater County, WY
Pinedale
Pinedale
Wyoming
Laramie
Laramie
Wyoming
Rawlins
Rawlins
Wyoming
North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

P.S. If you like hiking, there are some great hiking trails near Pinedale... but watch for bears.

Mentioned in this post
Pinedale
Pinedale
Wyoming
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

Thank you for the info. I'll take a look at it on the map. Any other ideas out there?

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

We returned today from the same trip. Please be aware that the road for the east entrance from Yellowstone is under construction. The road snakes through Sylvan Pass and is about 7 miles of loose rock. Of course, the speed is very slow with backups, but then I missed part of it since I kept my eyes shut for about 5 of those miles...my husband had to drive it. I have a problem with heights, but even my mountain-loving husband said that it was a challenge.

But here is the reward...the Absarokie mountains and Shoshone Forest between Yellowstone and Cody is some of the most magnificent scenery one can imagine. In addition, the drive from the south through Jackson and the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone is breathtaking. When in Cody, plan on spending at least half a day at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum (really four museums in one huge building).

Mentioned in this post
Bill Cody Ranch
Bill Cody Ranch
228 Reviews
Cody, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Montana
Level Contributor
107 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

I grew to manhood in Wyoming; I've been on every road in the state. From Cheyenne to Jackson - for time and scenry combined - travel north on Interstate-25 to Casper. Travel west from Casper to Riverton on U.S. 26. Then northwest out of Riverton to Dubois and Jackson. All these roads are good quality, high speed.

You won't find any scenery to speak of in central Wyoming; it is all high-elevation sagebrush prairie. Look for herds of antelope west from Casper also Golden eagles abound on the road west of Casper.

The scenery gets better west of Riverton, especially near Dubois (pronounced "DOO-boyce" - for goodness sakes don't pronounce it as "doo-BWAH" or you will get laughed out of town) and then over Togwottee ("TOAG-what-ee") Pass. Dropping down into the Jackson valley coming down Togwottee Pass, well the scenery will take your breath away with the full view of the Tetons ("TEE-tahns") Mountains. Coming into Jackson from the south and you will miss the Tetons.

Coming back through Cody remember Sylvan Pass in Yellowstone is still underconstruction. Allow one hour to get from Fishing Bridge to the East Gate. Cody is a great place to spend some time, especially at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, a world-class institute of history, art, natural history, and the fabulous Winchester rifle collection. You can spend two hours there or two days.

From Cody back to Cheyenne? Head southeast out of Cody through Meteetsee ("muh-TEET-see"), Thermopolis and through the scenic and very rugged Wind River Canyon - a true jewell of Wyoming. You drive along the river at the BOTTOM of the canyon, not on top, and the views are incredible. If geology interests you, you will love the canyon.

Head east from Shoshoni to Casper and retrace your route back to Cheyenne.

There you have it. Drive careful and enjoy the vistas.

Mentioned in this post
Moose Head Ranch
Moose Head Ranch
199 Reviews
Moose, WY
Wind River Canyon
Wind River Canyon
106 Reviews
Thermopolis, WY
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Casper
Casper
Wyoming
Riverton
Riverton
Wyoming
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Sheridan, wy
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Drive from Cheyenne to Jackson

I would agree with the last post (Cav 1865). The drive between Dubois and Jackson is beautiful. There is a spot on that road where you come around a bend and see the Tetons...you'll want to stop your car and just sit there!!!

On your return trip from Cody, I would suggest taking Highway 14 over the BigHorn Mountains. You will meet up with Interstate 90. From I-90, pick up Interstate 25 by Buffalo, Wyoming and it will take you back to Cheyenne via Casper.

I do agree that the Wind River Canyon is spectacular- but so are the BigHorns.

Enjoy Frontier Days.

Mentioned in this post
Wind River Canyon
Wind River Canyon
106 Reviews
Thermopolis, WY
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY