We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

Hello,

I'll be travelling from North Yellowstone (Gardiner region) to Badlands SD mid April as part of a roadtrip from the Pacific Northwest to Chicago.

Googlemap suggests its a good 9 hour drive which is a bit much, so we'd like to break the journey by spending a night somewhere in between the two places.

Looking at the map, somewhere roughly equidistant appears to be somewhere directly NE of Bighorn Forest, or possibly a bit further along i90 to the north of Thunder Basin.

Grateful for any suggestions on pleasant towns to spend the night in this northeast corner of Wyoming. Ideally looking for town (rather than large urban areas), rural/countryside, would be good if there were any outdoor activities to do (walking/hiking) we're in no real rush to get across to Badlands. Could even stay for a couple of days if there is something really great we just shouldn't miss.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Tom

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,914 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

What about Sundance, Wyoming?

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

We stayed in the Sundance Mountain Bed and Breakfast in Sundance in June 2008. It was a great choice for us. It consists of several stand alone cabins. They cabins are only a few years old and are on the side of a hill with great views. We saw a lot of deer on the ranch property.

The breakfast the next morning was incredible. The rates are very reasonable-somewhere in the $100 neighborhood (depending on which cabin you are in). There is a front porch on each cabin where you can sit and take in the views. The host (Helen) is a very welcoming and engaging person.

The location is about 30-40 minutes from Devil's Tower and just over an hour from Rapid City, SD and the Black Hills. This is much closer to the Black HIlls than Yellowstone, so it may be a longer drive than you want to make, but it is a great place.

If Sundance is an area that would interest you, then look at the reviews for this B and B. It is one of the favorite places we have ever lodged in. I can't say enough positive things about this place.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

Sheridan/Buffalo area or Sundance. Gillette in between is not very scenic and sort of industrial with the big open pit coal mine and the power plant there. I would probably rule that out as an option. But Buffalo is a nice small town at the base of the Bighorn Mts.

We've also stayed at Belle Fourche in South Dakota and it makes a nice loop route option if passing by Devils Tower on the way. Only about 11 miles from there back down to the freeway. It has a nice small town feel too.

4. Re: North Eastern Wyoming.. somewhere to stay a night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 06:18