We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone and Utah - 2011

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone and Utah - 2011

We (a family with 2 boys aged 16 and 12) are in the early stages of planning a 3 week trip for next summer and could do with a bit of guidance. There are two main areas we want to explore, the Moab area and the Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (I will post this on the Utah site as well). We have put together some sort of initial itinerary and have already booked some accommodation in Yellowstone. We plan to fly into Denver and could possibly spend a day or 2 in the Rockies before heading north to Yellowstone (probably via Cody to see a rodeo). Obviously this is a long drive and it might be nice to have a stop off place on the way (any recommendations?). We have 4 nights in Yellowstone (2 at the Canyon area and 2 at the lake, although this is flexible), then we have 2 nights in Jackson to explore Grand Tetons NP.Then it's another long drive back south to Utah (another stop perhaps?). We would like to hike some of Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, do some river rafting, cycling and take an excursion out to the La Sal mountains and perhaps get down to Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelley. We would like to see a ghost town or 2 as well. It's worth mentioning that last year we covered the Grand Canyon, Page, Bryce and Zion areas and also Yosemite and SF so we won't be venturing too far west this time around, although given the time we could easily return to all those places!! We all loved the south western desert area but also want to add a bit of variety into the trip and although the boys love hiking they will need some pool time!! Any suggestions are most welcome and anything we really shouldn't miss? I know this is a bit vague but I just want to get the ball rolling and get some feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Utah
Utah
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,485 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone and Utah - 2011

Since you are early into planning rather than a detailed itinerary I'll toss out some places to research and consider. But nailing down the YNP and Jackson lodging well in advance is good and will anchor the rest of the schedule. Timing wise if you want high elevation areas like Rocky Mt. NP or Snowy Range Scenic Byway it would be best to go after late-June or even mid-July.

A couple pool time options:

1. On way to YNP consider a couple night (and one whole day there) at Thermopolis. There are two small waterparks centered around the hot springs mineral water that flows there. Star Plunge has some worthy slides for boys that age.

2. On way back from Utah to Denver if via I-70 Glennwood Springs has a HUGE warm pool and some slides - and a nice spa for Mom & Dad.

A nice "sort of" ghost town (historic restoration really) is South Pass City. Also in the area are Oregon Trail wagon wheel ruts.

Here are a couple lists of our favorites around Wyoming - many of which you might pass nearby so would be worth considering in route or itinerary.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19709-Wyoming_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19827-Thermopo…

A plans firm up post specific questions as needed.

Edited: 18 August 2010, 14:48
Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Snowy Range Scenic Byway
Snowy Range Scenic Byway
128 Reviews
Centennial, WY
The Star Plunge
The Star Plunge
657 Reviews
Thermopolis, WY
Utah
Utah
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
2. Re: Yellowstone and Utah - 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 06:58