We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Stop

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Stop

Hi

We are taking in Glacier and also returning to wonderful

Yellowstone next summer. Towards the end of our holiday, we will be staying at Shoshone Lodge, near Cody and from there will be heading back to Denver for our flight home. We will have to make an overnight stop but I wanted to end our holiday on more than just an overnight hotel near the highway. I'm guessing we will have to look at Cheyenne or Laramie but just wonderred if you good people have any other ideas.

Many thanks

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Stop

we used Laramie for an overnighter. Nothing terribly exciting about it? but a nice little place. The drive over Snowy Range begins (or ends) there at Laramie. Very pretty mountain drive. It does head west from Laramie tho, so not sure you'll want to do more driving.

Hmm... Cody to Estes Park is about 7 and 1/2 hours. Gateway to the Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Obviously farther than Laramie, by about 2 hours-- but definitely not just a boring overnight stay. You really will want a couple of days to enjoy that area. But even an over night will give you lovely views and lots of dining choices.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Stop

You can drive from Cody to Denver in one day. So if you have two days available, do you want to explore the Oregon Trail in southern Wyoming. You could drive from Cody to Casper by way of Riverton and Muddy Gap (about a six hour drive). That takes you past large parts of the Trail, including Independence Rock. There are places along the road where you can get out of your car and walk a short distance into the sagebrush and find wagon ruts. Then in Casper, you could tour the Trails Interpretive Center (takes a few hours) and then on to Denver. Want more details?

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Stop

Thanks for the suggestions - because we are driving from Shoshone Lodge, it's a little further from Cody and our driver (my hubby!!) does want to make an overnight stay before we head for the airport the following day. Unfortunately we only have the one day to stopover. Thanks again :)

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Stop

Hope you enjoy your stay in Wyoming. The state is about the same size as the UK, but with 99% fewer people.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Stop

Although Cody to Denver is easily doable in a day breaking it into two affords some great touristing options. Here is a route and stop sugestion assuming middle of Summer date and not before early June or after Mid-Sept.

Take WY-120 from Cody down to Thermopolis. Quick stop to view mineral terraces. Then US-20 to Riverton through the very scenic Wind River Canyon. Due to distance and time it wil be hard to make all the stops and side trips around Lander so from Riverton take County 135 down to US-287 (aka the Sand Draw Cutoff) . On US-287 got east to junction with WY-220.

If weather is nice the side trip to Independence Rock would make a good picnic lunch spot. Independence Rock is a large sloping rock hill (think Ayers Rock/Uluru in Australia but smaller) that the wagon train pioneers stopped at and carved names and dates on the top. Often for 4th of July Independence Day celebration. It is steep by very interesting to discover carvings on the top.

Then back to US-287 and down to Rawlins and the freeway. This bit on 287 crosses the Great Divide Basin which drains to no ocean. The Frontier Prison museum at Rawlins is interesting if time permits. Then freeway to Walcott and WY-130 south to Saratoga for the night. Saratoga has two lodging options (worth considering)... Saratoga Inn & Spa and the historic Wolf Hotel. We've stayed a few times at the Saratoga Inn to enjoy the hot springs pools. Rooms are small and rustic but comfortable and clean. Also for the fairly good restaurant. Wolf Hotel has a good restaurant also.

Next day WY-130 over Medicine Bow Mts. and Snowy Range Scenic Byway. Very spectacular mountain scenery and very easy mountain drive although well over 3,000 meters. Then down to Laramie and the freeway over to Cheyenne and then south to Denver.

Some of the places above are in the following list which has some links to more info.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19709-Wyoming_…

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Stop

Some interesting options would be the Diamond RAnch outside Chugwater. It's a working ranch with lovely cabins or the Warren Nagle Mansion in Cheyenne, which is a victorian mansion bed and breakfast. We love Thermopolis and enjoy Laramie, but given your route to the Denver airport, there's no way I'd divert to either, nor would I head up to Estes Park in Colorado -- all three involve too much additional driving for an overnight stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Stop

Thanks for the ideas - I agree we don't want to divert too much, and yes Estes Park is much too far. I will look at Chugwater and Cheyenne and also Saratoga.

I know I've said it before but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help. We've been to the US many times and Wyoming before but there's nothing like getting valued advice from you guys - it really does help. Thanks

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight Stop

You are on target with Laramie or Cheyenne. Both have things worthy of visiting with your limited time, have various housing options and plenty of dining choices to select from. Further, you will be within an easy drive of the Denver airport on your departure day.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight Stop

You may also want to look at Casper for the night. Nice town, Fort Casper and National Trails Center there as well.

It may be an "easy" drive on paper from Cody to Denver, but this was a long haul for us, took close to 8 hours of driving, plus time for stops.

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight Stop

Thanks, yes I agree, the drives always look easy on paper. We are used to long drives, but after doing some more mapping, I think we will go for Laramie or Cheyenne. Caspar looks a good place to stay but my hubby doesn't want too long a drive to the airport the following day. Laramie may be better as I presume we can get there pretty quickly without the interstate!!

Thank again :)