We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay between Jackson and Estes Park?

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
108 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay between Jackson and Estes Park?

Hi

Planning a trip in September from Denver to South Dekota on to Yellowstone and Tetons then over to Estes Park. Is there somwhere nice to stay on the route from Jackson to Estes. Have looked at Green River as a halfway stop to break up journey but not sure. Any suggestions please?

BB

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay between Jackson and Estes Park?

If you take the most direct route to Estes Park, you'll pass through Lander on your way to Rawlins, where you meet I-80. Rawlins is about half way to Estes Park and has a bunch of motels to choose from, including some of the nicer chains.

If, instead, you take the route down to Green River, that's fine, although it's a little bit longer.

If by "somewhere nice to stay on the route" you mean a nice town rather than a nice motel, Green River or Rock Springs are imo more picturesque than Rawlins. Green River is in a pretty setting; Rawlins has the state prison.

But keep in mind that there are zero places to stay between Rock Springs and Rawlins.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 17:12
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay between Jackson and Estes Park?

My vote I think would be at Saratoga. Saratoga Inn & Resort is very nice and has some interesting hot springs pools - some under big tepees. The Silver Saddle restaurant there is pretty good. Just south of Walcott (on I-80) via WY-130. 325 miles / 6 hrs via either Pinedale or Lander. Lander route offers side trips to South Pass or Independence Rock.

Two ways to Estes Park from there...

1. Via WY-130 to Laramie over scenic Snowy Range Byway and then via not so scenic US-287 to Ft. Collins then to Estes. 185 Mi. / 3hrs48mn

2. Via WY-230/CO-125 to Granby, CO and through Rocky Mt. NP to Estes Park. 185 mi. / 4hrs/14mn (not counting stops)

So Saratoga is a bit over half way but the scenic attactions of the other routes would equal out the time with stops.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 18:26
3. Re: where to stay between Jackson and Estes Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 05:17