We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

uk
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

hi

looking to come to WY and Yellowstone late July (possibly early aug - school holiday) . I have family of 4 me, wife, 18 and 16 yr old girls (who don't want to go to the beach!! and likely last vacation with the eldest!) I know the area is big but i have little awareness of travel times and how busy things get in summer.

i've looked at TA forum about YNP etc. and thought rough plan may be:

arrive Denver

Day 1 - overnight Denver or nearby (after long flight)

Day 2 - travel to Cody (is this possible in one day?)

Day 3/4/5 - Cody area - mt rushmore (?)

Day 6 - travel to YNP (which area is best. aware that inside is likely to be fully booked)

Day 7/8/9 - activities at YNP

Day 10 - travel to teton NP (?) Jackson I assume (?)

Day 11/12/13 - activities at Teton/Jackson

Day 14 - to Denver for flight home

I don't really want to spend all my time travelling so does the above seem reasonable? don't know about other places like cheyenne, or which is best entrance for YNP.

I have read the other posts and am looking for activities to do and know I won't be able to fit everything in.

any advice gratefully received.

thanks in advance

richie

Edited: 16 February 2011, 13:32
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

Jackson to Denver is about 400 miles, which means you will need to be pretty aware of your flight time. If it is an evening flight no problem, late afternoon flight is probably ok, early afternoon is going to be tight. It will mean getting started early and driving pretty hard, but may be ok. Mt. Rushmore is not really a day trip from Cody. It is a long drive and if you do it in a day, will not really be worth it. It would make more sense to go there, then go to Cody, then continue on with your trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

Hi

Yes, it will be busy and you'll have to start making reservations asa possible.

As said, Cody is nowhere near Mnt Rushmore. If you want to see Mnt Rushmore (and othe places around it) I'd do:

1. Arrive Denver

2. Drive to Black Hills SD via Lusk. Maybe stay Hill City ot Keystone.

3 and 4: BH/Badlands NP

5. Via Devils Tower NM to Cody (long day) or stay overnight in Buffalo or Sheridan and make it to Cody next morning.

6. Cody for nite rodeo and Buffalo BIll Museums

7. To Yellowstone via Chief Joseph/Beartooth-Cooke City and Lamar Valley

8,9,10: Yellowstone

11. To GTNP

12. GTNP

13. To Denver, see how far you can get, it's an all days drive.

14. Leave from Denver.

uk
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

Thank you everyone

given me food for thought.

need to think about either to extend stay for a few days to take in mt rushmore or same no of days and don't do it.

i think i need to break the journey from the airport northwards so will be looking at your suggestions for best place.

need to start booking now before flight prices increase and places get full.

thanks again much appreciated

richie

Edited: 18 February 2011, 12:44
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

The itineray I gave you has been done many times before and gives you time for both Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone. After your Denver arrival and the rental p/u, I'd drive a (very) short distance to just north of Denver and stay for the night. Next day you can get to Black Hills in app. 6 hours. The drive to Cody will take longer (more like 8+ hours) from Denver. Maybe stay Casper or Thermopolis and enjoy Thermopolis Hot Springs but if you want to see Mt Rushmore I'd drive there first or reverse your route and drive to GTNP first (with an overnight stay)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

If the trip back to Denver is going to be tight, spend your last day in Jackson and then get 2-3 hours of driving that night. The airport in Denver is east of the city quite a bit.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

How much is your vacation time worth? Have you considered flying from Denver to Jackson? If flight times would match up you might have nearly 2 more vacation days for the price of the flights? If you really want to see Mt. Rushmore too, consider a multi-destination flight from Denver to Jackson to Rapid City to Denver. This can be done over a span of time so you can enjoy time in each place. You might even go from Denver to Jackson, Cody to Rapid City to Denver and save a bunch of driving.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

If you decide on late July, you should consider stopping in Cheyenne for some of the festivities surround Cheyenne Frontier Days which is the world's largest outdoor rodeo. It will run from Sat. July 23 through Sun. July 31st. There are lots of free activities, including parades and free pancake breakfasts with western entertainment.

8. Re: YNP etc Trip itinerary - coming from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 06:23