We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

I thought I'd re-post here and in SD for any advice anyone out there can give me:

I think we've decided to re-visit YNP as it's been quite a few years and I don't think we ever made it to the Montana side (we came in through the GT and stayed at Old Faithful Lodge). Plus, it will be mid-June and from what I've read, Glacier can be a bit iffy still at that time of the year.

That being said, here's what I have so far, please let me know what you think: Day one (Thurs) - Billings, (arrive around 6:30 pm from LV).

Day two - Billings to Lake Yellowstone Lodge via Red Lodge and the Beartooth Highway.

Day three, at the Lake Lodge and explore more of YNP. (FRI/SAT)

Day four - Cody for the night (SUN), we end up here on a Sunday and from what I've read, there's no gun fight, are we going to miss something fun? should we just stay in YNP one night and then move on to Cody? Any suggestions are welcome.

Day five (Mon) - Cody - ???? suggestion for somewhere to stay 1/2 way so we may sightsee along the way.

Day six- eight (Tues-Thurs night) Mt. Rushmore/Badlands, etc. flight from RC leaves at 11:00 Fri. AM, where should we base for three nights (Keystone?).

Thanks again for any advice you can give me.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Beartooth Highway
Beartooth Highway
65 Reviews
Wyoming
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

Posted on the Montana forum.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

Since this is in the Wyoming forum I'll stick to some Wyoming thoughts..

1. There really isn't a good half way spot between Cody and Black Hills and the drive certainly can be done in a day. So you could double night in Cody or stop short of Black Hills. In theory Buffalo or Sheridan are close to mid-way but you can be there in 3-4 hours from Cody and there is not a lot to do when you get there.

2. One option might be to take more time at Devils Tower and then stop at Sundance. Then from Spearfish take the Spearfish Canyon road into The Hills

3. For more scenic touring you could head up to Bighorn Canyon from Lovell and take WY-37 up to the Horseshoe Bend area. Then backtrack and if not spooked by mountain roads take Alt-14 over the Bighorns. All this might take enough time to warrant stopping in Sheridan. Then next day head to Black Hills. Although you might also have time to duck up to Little Bighorn Battlefields in morning then come back down and head east. But that's in Montana.

4. On Alt-14 route (also from US-14) if the snow is gone up there the road to the Medicine Wheel is interesting. But that might not be an option until July.

5. In any of the scenarios above on way from Devils Tower onward take Hwy 24 over to Aladdin and then WY-111 down to the freeway. At that interchange take the north side frontage road east and stop at the Vore Buffalo Jump. Very interesting if any interest in Indian culture. You can take the frontage road east to the SD border and next freeway entrance.

6. Hint: Leave WY fully loaded with gas. Fill in Gillette or Moorcroft. In SD it is more expensive despite some signs to the contrary around there.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Buffalo
Buffalo
Wyoming
Sundance
Sundance
Wyoming
Lovell
Lovell
Wyoming
Montana
Montana
United States
Aladdin
Aladdin
Wyoming
Gillette
Gillette
Wyoming
Moorcroft
Moorcroft
Wyoming
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

Beartooth is spectacular. Consider staying in Red Lodge. Second on Devil's Tower. And do consider Custer Battlefield.

Have fun.

4. Re: New Plan - Billings - YNP - Mt Rushmore/Badlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 12:16